[net.micro.atari] "personal computer", "PDP", IBM-PC P

ted@inmet.UUCP (11/14/85)

I just had to say that I agree with everything you said.  The IBM-PC was
good for its day, but now it is stiffling real innovation, along with the
other 8088 based products.  The only thing we can do is hope that as
people become more computer literate, they'll realize that segmentation is
a limitation, along with other things.  Lets hope the new generation of
68000 based "personal computers", ie, Atari 520ST/TT and the Amiga will
help push IBM into new hardware approaches that won't cost the consumer
his/her shirt in order to buy it.

wayne@puff.UUCP (11/27/85)

> Lets hope the new generation of 68000 based "personal computers", ie, Atari
  520ST/TT and the Amiga will help push IBM into new hardware approaches...

IBM's coming line of 386 machines should show us a thing or two...so they
say.  me, i don't know the chip; what do you hackers say about the reputed
"next revolution" in processors?

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/03/85)

In article <554@puff.UUCP> wayne@puff.UUCP writes:

>> Lets hope the new generation of 68000 based "personal computers", ie, Atari
>  520ST/TT and the Amiga will help push IBM into new hardware approaches...
>

>IBM's coming line of 386 machines should show us a thing or two...so they
>say.  me, i don't know the chip; what do you hackers say about the reputed
>"next revolution" in processors?

     Gee.  They're only 1 or 2 years behind (68020 machines are already
on the market including Motorola's own 'Benchmark' and Gimix's 68020
OS-9 and Uniflex single board computer and their SS-50 bus 68020 systems--
these latter 2 machines run Virtual Memory versions of Uniflex or a
more "Standard" OS-9 68K.  At Comdex they were running Sculptor and
impressed a lot of people with their speed--oh, and of course Unix
is already available for the 68K's). ;-)

                                     Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura