[net.micro.atari] Micro/Systems Journal, Creative Computing and Ziff-Davis

libes@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Don Libes) (12/02/85)

In article <364@pedsgd.UUCP> bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:
> In article <228@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> >BTW, Sol & Lennie Libes have resurrected Microsystems (which I believe they
> >started, before Ziff-Davis got ahold of it), and renamed it Micro/Systems
> >Journal.  They've just published their 5th issue, and are running it out of
> >their garage.  It has a very high percentage of TECHNICAL/editorial content,
> >and deserves to be successful.  If you haven't yet tried it, pick up an
> >issue ... if you're technically oriented, I think you'll like it.
>
> Yes, the Libes' DID start S-100 Microsystems; I remember getting my first
> issue at the old Computer Mart of NJ.  If the revived journal is as good
> as the original S-100 Microsystems, then I sincerely wish them every
> possible bit of good luck.

I want to correct some information.  The Libes' are not running M/SJ out of
their garage.  They are running it out of their basement.  I should know -
it is impossible to play ping-pong anymore with the production department
doing pasteup on top of it.  Also, the last time I was home, the room my
bed was in no longer looked like my old bedroom but was referred to as the
Circulation/Advertising Depts and Administrative Offices.  (To complete the
picture, the den is the Editorial Dept.)

Though I don't ordinarily read it, I picked up a copy of Creative Computing
which ZD just closed.  Dave Ahl wrote a very polite editorial considering
the situation.  He was also quite blunt, however.  It was very anguishing
to read his own job-wanted ad at the end of his column.

What really galls me is that there are still subscription cards, request
for reader response, advertising rates, etc in the magazine, even though
the issue cover was marked "collector's item", so they obviously knew
months ahead that it would be closed.

Don Libes         {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!libes

gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (12/03/85)

[D. Libes talks about M/S J's really being done in the basement]

Bravo, its just this kind of insider information that this net really
needs to make it a breathing entity!  No more flames, people, tell us
what is happenin' in YOUR basement!
	-Rick Richardson