[net.micro.atari] Unbundled ST or ripoff?

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (12/19/85)

<here, line eater .. nice line eater .. >

Potential scam here, folks.

I saw an ad in the NY Times this past Tues (12/17) from one Executive
Photo on 31st St, Manhattan.  In their computer section, they had the
following entry: "Atari 520 ST  $369.".  I called their WATS number
(800-223-7323), frankly assuming a typo for an intended price of $639,
still an excellent discount on the B&W ST.

When I got through to them, they told me over the phone "That's the
price for the CPU only, the package is $699."

Say WHAT?!?!?!

I called the distributor in Westchester county as shown in the
recent ST ads and asked if the ST was available unbundled.  The
answer was that they had heard Atari was considering it, but not
at the present.  Okay, I called Atari in Sunnyvale.  The person
I got was 'puzzled'.  They took the dealer's name & phone #, my
name & address, and said they'd look into it.

If the manufacturer doesn't offer something unbundled, and the
regional distributor doesn't distribute it unbundled, and NO ONE
has ever advertised the item in unbundled form, what do you call
an ad selling you a piece of an otherwise bundled system?  I called
Executive again to see if they were still holding to their line.
They were.  I called the NY state Atty General's office and have
requested complaint forms be sent.  I think false advertising
charges are appropriate.

ANYONE else ever see ads for unbundled ST systems?  I don't mean
supplemental drives, etc.  I mean an ad along the lines of 'CPU
only $XXX, monitor $XXX, first disk $XXX'.  If so, please let
me know.  Thanks.

					Bob Halloran

UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {pesnta, topaz, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter Thompson

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/21/85)

Bob, I don't see a problem here?  If the prices are reasonable, then
what's wrong with selling the system unbundled?  The question is whether
the total of the prices are much higher than the bundled prices.  Even
then I think I'd prefer to buy in pieces if I could derive a benefit
that way.  There *are* possible benefits too.  I already have Shugart
standard disks and *many* monitors.  All I'd need would be the CPU and
software.  I'm not the only one in this position either.  In fact
I'll bet there isn't more than 10% of all ST owners who didn't already
have at least 1 computer before they bought their ST.

                                      Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

hofbauer@utcsri.UUCP (John Hofbauer) (12/22/85)

> Bob, I don't see a problem here?  If the prices are reasonable, then
> what's wrong with selling the system unbundled?  The question is whether
> the total of the prices are much higher than the bundled prices.

The problem isn't necessarily the price but the fact that although
they advertise the system unbundled they won't sell it to you in
pieces. I haven't bought any computer equipment but I have had similar
experiences with photo equipment. Since the store cited was
Executive Photo the connection is clear. It's a trick to get
you in the door. It's not illegal since it isn't technically
false advertising; they just aren't giving you the entire story
up front. Old adage: If the seems too good to be true, it probably is.

steve@polyof.UUCP (A2 Steve Weiss) (12/23/85)

> Potential scam here, folks.
> I saw an ad in the NY Times this past Tues (12/17) from one Executive
> Photo on 31st St, Manhattan.  In their computer section, they had the
> following entry: "Atari 520 ST  $369.".  I called their WATS number
> (800-223-7323), frankly assuming a typo for an intended price of $639,
> still an excellent discount on the B&W ST.
>
> When I got through to them, they told me over the phone "That's the
> price for the CPU only, the package is $699."

	We called them (their 800 # has been dis-connected) and asked
about the price of the 520st.  We got the same story at Bob Halloran,
however, we have one additional comment to add: the package with the
color monitor is $899, a far cry from $369.  In case anyone else wants
to give them a call, their number is 212-947-5290.  It might not be a bad
idea if you folks in the N.Y. area give these "people" a call and express
your dismay at their price (and false advertising).  They might have
second thoughts the next time.

			Polytech U.

pgydow@sunybcs.UUCP (Bruce Dow) (12/24/85)

 did you ask if they included the keyboard.. maybe its worse than it looks
a mc68k chip (worth about $20) for almost $400
                      johnn

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/26/85)

In article <182@polyof.UUCP> steve@polyof.UUCP (A2 Steve Weiss) writes:
>> Potential scam here, folks.
>> I saw an ad in the NY Times this past Tues (12/17) from one Executive
>> Photo on 31st St, Manhattan.  In their computer section, they had the
>> following entry: "Atari 520 ST  $369.".  I called their WATS number
>> (800-223-7323), frankly assuming a typo for an intended price of $639,
>> still an excellent discount on the B&W ST.
>>
>> When I got through to them, they told me over the phone "That's the
>> price for the CPU only, the package is $699."
>>

>	We called them (their 800 # has been dis-connected) and asked
>about the price of the 520st.  We got the same story at Bob Halloran,
>however, we have one additional comment to add: the package with the
>color monitor is $899, a far cry from $369.  In case anyone else wants
>to give them a call, their number is 212-947-5290.  It might not be a bad
>idea if you folks in the N.Y. area give these "people" a call and express
>your dismay at their price (and false advertising).  They might have
>second thoughts the next time.
>
>			Polytech U.

     There may be another possible solution.  If you can put together a
system based on the CPU which is better, then do it.  If this company
has to buy the computer bundled anyway, then they'll be stuck with a
pile of monitors, etc. which they'll eventually have to discount even
further.  Never act out of anger when a situation can benefit you with
the application of a little imagination.

                                          Cheers! -- Jim O.