[net.micro.atari] 520ST Unix Clones?

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) (12/23/85)

 Now that it appears unlikely that a real UNIX will apprear for the ST,
what about UNIX subsets? A few of these appeared on the IBM side of the
market (aside from 1 or 2 real UNIX implementations such as XENIX) and
have some supporters. Typically multitasking abilities are eliminated
or greatly reduced but at least the more common commands are the same
and, due to the great simplification, it isn't pure folly to run some
of them on a floppy system.

 Understand I'm not volunteering for this sort of thing (The ATs' XENIX
bugs keep me plenty busy) but am curious if 1) There is a demand and 2)
anyone is working on such a beast.

--

  -"Daphnia Dave" Fetrow

{ ihnp4, fluke, tektronix, uw-june }!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow :UUCP
  entropy!fetrow@uw-june.arpa                                 :ARPA

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (12/26/85)

     Dave Fetrow asked if there is anyone working on a Unix clone.

     OS-9 isn't really a Unix clone, but I'd guess it would be according
to his description.  I assume you have missed the previous postings.
OS-9 68K appears to be coming early in 1986.  This is very auspicious
because, although I probably won't be getting an Atari myself, I *will*
likely have an OS-9 68K system by then.  Sinclair already has OS-9 68K
available for the QL, and there is a fair body of software developed and
in the works for it.

                                           Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

ugjohna@sunybcs.UUCP (John Arrasjid) (12/27/85)

In article <239@entropy.UUCP> fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) writes:

> Now that it appears unlikely that a real UNIX will apprear for the ST,
>what about UNIX subsets? A few of these appeared on the IBM side of the
>market (aside from 1 or 2 real UNIX implementations such as XENIX) and
>have some supporters. Typically multitasking abilities are eliminated
>or greatly reduced but at least the more common commands are the same
>and, due to the great simplification, it isn't pure folly to run some
>of them on a floppy system.

Appears unlikely????  AT&T just signed a licensing agreement with Atari to
listen UNIX system 5.0 to be run on the ST's. I just read this in the most
recent issue of INFO-WORLD. As far as I know, this supports multitasking and
multiuser and is not just a UNIX shell.

John Arrasjid               SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:    [decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!ugjohna
CSnet:   ugjohna@buffalo
ARPAnet: ugjohna%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY