grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) (12/11/85)

In article <912@mcvax.UUCP>	 simon@mcvax.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:

>	the 520st has no mmu
>	it has no memory protection
>	no relocation
>	therefore it cannot run unix
>	end of story
>	by unix i mean v6 or later

>	simon kenyon the national software centre dublin, ireland

Sorry, the above are very useful, but not *vital* to running unix,
especially on a personal computer.  I would bet my terminal that
there will be a unix port in six months to a year.  It might not be
full system V, but the idea and upward compatibility should be there.

The biggest obstacle to Unix on the ST is the gap between the people
with source licenses and the people who want to do things with ST's.

The simple hardware/sortware architecture of the ST should actually
make it a much easier port than to the Amiga or Mac, since you are
giving away less of the special features when you switch to the Unix
model.
--
George Robbins			uucp:	{unirot|tapa}!grr
P.O. Box 177

nigel@minster.UUCP (nigel) (12/12/85)

In article <912@mcvax.UUCP> simon@mcvax.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:
>the 520st has no mmu
>it has no memory protection
>no relocation
>therefore it cannot run unix
>end of story
>by unix i mean v6 or later
>--
>simon kenyon
>the national software centre
>dublin, ireland

GOOD FOR YOU
SANITY AT LAST

simon@mcvax.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (12/18/85)

if there is no mmu there is no multiprogramming
if you don't have that, what is the point in running unix?
--
simon kenyon
national software centre, dublin, ireland

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/19/85)

> In article <912@mcvax.UUCP>	 simon@mcvax.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:
>
> >	the 520st has no mmu
> >	it has no memory protection
> >	no relocation
> >	therefore it cannot run unix
> >	end of story
> >	by unix i mean v6 or later
>
> >	simon kenyon the national software centre dublin, ireland
>

> Sorry, the above are very useful, but not *vital* to running unix,
> especially on a personal computer.  I would bet my terminal that
> there will be a unix port in six months to a year.  It might not be

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~backspace lineater, backspace~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i wouldn't bet my terminal too quickly, there WILL be a unix
available from Atari and it will be AT&T V7, but not for the ST. The
above reasons while not vital are critical enough to make it too
difficult to do. The Atari port will be for the TFM machine and your
timeframe is about right, nothing is set in concrete but it will be
a black box with a 68020 (i hope) or a 32032 in it and it will use
the ST as an intelligent front end, windowing terminal etc.

--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner

ravi@eneevax.UUCP (Ravi Kulkarni) (12/23/85)

In article <159@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>i wouldn't bet my terminal too quickly, there WILL be a unix
>available from Atari and it will be AT&T V7, but not for the ST. The
>above reasons while not vital are critical enough to make it too
>difficult to do. The Atari port will be for the TFM machine and your
>timeframe is about right, nothing is set in concrete but it will be
>a black box with a 68020 (i hope) or a 32032 in it and it will use
>the ST as an intelligent front end, windowing terminal etc.

WHy would they want to put AT&T V7 on the 32 bit machine. There is no
excuse for anything less than 4.3BSD + a nice window manager considering
the hardware they are putting it on. I personally hope that they will
provide a higher res color bitmap alternative than the ST otherwise
they have no chance to break into the low-cost workstation marketplace.
There are certain minimum levels of functionality that I hope atari is
aware of or they will find themselves in limbo like the amiga, which is
too expensive for a home machine and not good enough for any serious
cad/cam work.
--
ARPA:	ravi@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP:   [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!ravi

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/24/85)

> In article <159@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
> >i wouldn't bet my terminal too quickly, there WILL be a unix
> >available from Atari and it will be AT&T V7, but not for the ST. The
> >above reasons while not vital are critical enough to make it too
> >difficult to do. The Atari port will be for the TFM machine and your
> >timeframe is about right, nothing is set in concrete but it will be
> >a black box with a 68020 (i hope) or a 32032 in it and it will use
> >the ST as an intelligent front end, windowing terminal etc.
>
> WHy would they want to put AT&T V7 on the 32 bit machine. There is no
> excuse for anything less than 4.3BSD + a nice window manager considering
> ARPA:	ravi@eneevax.umd.edu
> UUCP:   [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!ravi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \ lineater \ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for the same reason IBM picked an intel 8086 for the PC,
political/finacial reasons not technical, also like it or not (and i
dont) SVR2 is becoming the unix standard amoungst big companies (IBM
AT&T DEC etc.)
--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner

ugjohna@sunybcs.UUCP (John Arrasjid) (12/26/85)

I just read in infoworld that AT&T have signed a deal with Atari to release
the 520ST under their label with the UNIX V  operating system. I have also
heard numerous rumours that this machine will come standard with monochrome,
20meg hard drive, 1 meg onboard, and will sell for $1000. Can any of you
people who work at AT&T either confirm or deny any or all of this info. If not,
how about a clue????

John Arrasjid                   SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:    [decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!ugjohna
CSnet:   ugjohna@buffalo
ARPAnet: ugjohna%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (12/29/85)

/* Written  9:18 pm  Dec 25, 1985 by ugjohna@sunybcs.UUCP in net.micro.atari */
I just read in infoworld that AT&T have signed a deal with Atari to release
the 520ST under their label with the UNIX V  operating system. I have also
heard numerous rumours that this machine will come standard with monochrome,
20meg hard drive, 1 meg onboard, and will sell for $1000. Can any of you
people who work at AT&T either confirm or deny any or all of this info. If not,
how about a clue????
/* End of text from net.micro.atari */

Because <enter dripping red font> V <exit dripping red font>: the
System, like essentially all versions of Unix, relies heavily on memory
mapping hardware, the current 520ST will NOT support it.  This is not
to say that AT&T might not write a version of "the standard OS for the
world" <heavy sarcasm> that doesn't require it, but it would be a
considerable effort, and I doubt that such a thing will happen.  It's
probably easier to persuade Atari to redesign the ST.

I wouldn't mind seeing the ST those rumors describe--it would be a nice
machine to run OS-9 on when (no longer if, it seems) it comes out for
the ST.

						James Jones