[net.micro.atari] Atari 520ST DMA Specs

collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) (01/02/86)

Dear Netters,
	Has anyone got the specs for the DMA port yet?  If so where did
you get the information?  Has anyone verified that there is an easy way
to convert it to SCSI?  Yes, I have the January Byte.
	Please post or mail according to your feeling about general
interest in your information.
Doug.

--
		Doug Collinge
		School of Music, University of Victoria,

andy@sdcarl.UUCP (Andrew Voelkel) (01/07/86)

In article <161@uvicctr.UUCP> collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) writes:
>Dear Netters,
>	Has anyone got the specs for the DMA port yet?  If so where did
>you get the information?  Has anyone verified that there is an easy way
>to convert it to SCSI?  Yes, I have the January Byte.
>	Please post or mail according to your feeling about general
>interest in your information.

Since the dma port is the only high-bandwidth port on the machine a detailed
description of it seems necessary. The rom port has no read write line so
it's useless for this and I think the moral to the MAC's "serial is all we
need" philosophy should be obvious by now. It all hinges on how general the
data that can be sent from the dma controller is. I sure hope that one can
use this port in a general purpose way and not just in disk-like protocol.
If I can't I probably won't buy one. Who knows how the port-dma controller
work? The information in the BYTE article gives no clues.

--
	Andrew Voelkel
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!andy