[net.micro.atari] Correction on monitor adj's

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (01/09/86)

> Date: 6 Jan 86 15:31:12 GMT
> From: cbosgd!clyde!watmath!utzoo!utcsri!utai!uthub!utecfa!logicwa@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> Subject: stretching your 520ST monochrome monitor
> Sender: usenet@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> On the front left, are the vertical alignment, vertical height,
> and vertical hold.
> On the back right are the focus, horizontal center, and brightness.
> To stretch the display, turn the vertical height control with a
> cross-bladed screwdriver.
> On my monitor, this gives a very nice full-screen display.
> I found I had to slightly adjust the focus, and the vertical line
> (width of a line at the top of the screen vs. the bottom) as well.
> The one drawback I've noticed (I only did it two days ago) is that
> graphics are stretched noticeably out of shape (eg circles look like
> ellipses).
>				Earl Fogel @ Logicware Inc.

That Vert. Line. stands for Verticle *Linearity* and simply establishes the
proportion of spacing between lines of scan top relative to bottom.  The effect
is to make possible *TALLER* char's at the top and decreasing in height in each
line closer to the bottom (or vice versa).  The Vert. Ht. increases the spacing
between ALL lines (or decreases).  If you do this adjustment without pro-
portionately adjusting the Horiz. Width of the scan, you get the stretched up
display described.  **For safety's sake, please use a plastic screwdriver to
make this adjustment; metal blades can result in an electrifying experience**
der,FIELD@EDWARDS-VAX
-------