[net.micro.atari] Keeping developers happy

johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) (01/14/86)

gaspar@ALMSA-1.ARPA writes (in part)

>    Of course there are a number of people, many of them developers, that have
> already bought 520ST's for $799 or $999.  If this change in marketing policy by
> Atari is going to work, these people will have to be appeased also.  If the
> dealers are going to get a 1 meg ST for the same cost as the 520ST the current
> owners should be provided the upgrade at no, or minimal, cost.  And, if a DSDD
> drive is put in the dealers package, current owners should be able to trade up
> to the DSDD drive or in some way be compensated.

A nice idea, but don't hold your breath!  As I write I can see the 520ST system
that I bought (for $1400 - I've got both monitors, and a second (DSDD) disk drive).
I would really like to be able to upgrade this to a 1-meg system *without* blowing
my Atari warranty away. I can (just) see Atari offering me this at a reasonable
price (as I have also purchased their development package), but I do not believe
they will do anything about the disk drive.

I have not really got into playing with the ST yet, as I'm still waiting for my
C compiler and all the documentation, but I do have a couple of first impressions
to share with the world.

    o   The first thing you are told to do is make a backup copy of your system
        disk. SO WHY DON'T THEY GIVE YOU A BLANK DISK TO DO IT ON ? (The same
        goes for the language disk, if you *really* want to use Atari-LOGO).

    o   The actual internals of the machine are plenty powerful enough to make
        this thing a real computer, not a 'toy'. (This message is being written
        on an Apollo workstation. The main CPU is . . . . . a Motorola 68000).
        WHY DO I HAVE TO FIND ROOM FOR ALL THOSE STUPID EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLIES ?
        I have to find FIVE places to plug everything in, and somewhere to put
        the power supplies as well as all the system components.  Package the
        system like a video game, and people will think it is a video game.
        (After all, the converse is true - a well-known company packaged a 8086
        like a computer system,  and thousands of people believed it really was
        a computer system :-)

gaspar@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Al Gaspar) (01/14/86)

********This isn't really necessary********

those that had already purchased the 520ST, John Francis writes:

>A nice idea, but don't hold your breath!  As I write I can see the 520ST system
>that I bought (for $1400 - I've got both monitors, and a second (DSDD) disk
>drive).  I would really like to be able to upgrade this to a 1-meg system
>*without* blowing my Atari warranty away. I can (just) see Atari offering me
>this at a reasonable price (as I have also purchased their development
>package), but I do not believe they will do anything about the disk drive.

    From additional items I have read on the net, it doesn't seem like Atari
is lowering the price of the 520ST.  Instead, Atari is apparently unbundling
the system, but, if you buy all the pieces, the cost remains the same.  They
do seem to be adding an RF modulator (does anyone know if this capability
will be made available to the earlier STs?).  If this is the case, rather
than a price cut, then some of my previous thoughts are not applicable.  In
St. Louis there has been some effort to keep earlier ST buyers happy and to
promote additional sales of the 520ST package while awaiting delivery of the
1040ST.

    Our Atari dealership (Instant Replay) is offering to install the ROM
chip for free and perform a 1 meg upgrade for $20 plus parts, if you bought
(or buy) the machine from them.  They are also offering some discounts that
I am not familiar with.  The Atari warranty is only for 90 days, I think, but,
if the dealership does the upgrade, I would think that they at least would
not consider the warranty invalid.

    I appreciate this discussion being returned to rationality.  Let's keep
it that way.

Al Gaspar <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO 63188-1578
(314)263-5118
seismo!brl!gaspar@almsa-1.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  These thoughts are mine, but anyone that takes them is welcome
to them.

Felton.PA@XEROX.ARPA (01/14/86)

>  o   The first thing you are told to do is make a backup copy of your system
>        disk. SO WHY DON'T THEY GIVE YOU A BLANK DISK TO DO IT ON ? (The same
>        goes for the language disk, if you *really* want to use Atari-LOGO).

	I would suggest using the LOGO disk to back up the system disk. :-)

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/15/86)

In article <2b5128ea.917@apollo.uucp> johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) writes:

> The first thing you are told to do is make a backup copy of your
> system disk.  SO WHY DON'T THEY GIVE YOU A BLANK DISK TO DO IT ON
> ?  (The same goes for the language disk, if you *really* want to
> use Atari-LOGO).

If they were going to give you two disks, it would probably be easier for
them to give you two copies of the system disk.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

franco@iuvax.UUCP (01/15/86)

I built a box about 12"x12"x3" which the monitor sits on.  There is
plenty of space inside the box to house the power supplies.  The setup
looks neat as a pin - there are almost no wires visible.