[net.micro.atari] ST prices

MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) (01/16/86)

A $400 computer is a toy.
A $400 computer that costs $800 is an expensive toy.

The point is that instead of making the ST sell for $400 they should keep
the price the same and improve the ST.

I have somewhat more in mind by "improving the ST" than adding $35 worth
of RAMs.
-------

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (01/17/86)

> A $400 computer is a toy.
> A $400 computer that costs $800 is an expensive toy.
>
> The point is that instead of making the ST sell for $400 they should keep
> the price the same and improve the ST.

An $800 computer selling for $400 is an inexpensive computer.  And if its' an
ST, its' one hell of a toy.

A $400 Mack?  Now THAT's an expensive computer!
Four hundred dollars is what I've heard it costs Apple to make the Mack.

Ray

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (01/18/86)

In article <14622@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP writes:
>An $800 computer selling for $400 is an inexpensive computer.  And if its' an
>ST, its' one hell of a toy.
>
>A $400 Mack?  Now THAT's an expensive computer!
>Four hundred dollars is what I've heard it costs Apple to make the Mack.
>
>Ray

But don't forget: you also get a monitor and a disk drive for that price.
Quoting different configurations is a good way to become confused (as well
as an unethical but surprisingly effective bargaining weapon against car
dealers...)

-dave

--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (01/20/86)

/* Written 12:24 am Jan 16, 1986 by MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA in net.micro.atari */
A $400 computer is a toy.
A $400 computer that costs $800 is an expensive toy.
/* End of text from net.micro.atari */

Would you buy the ST at a store that bought them for $400 and sold them to
you for $2000 in a fancy plush room with Windham Hill music piped in?
(Of course not, because you know the hoi polloi can get them for $400...but
what if you didn't know?)

It is function that determines toy status, not price--unless you're of the
sort that judges quality by price.

						James Jones

keen@inuxd.UUCP (D Keen) (01/20/86)

> A $400 computer is a toy.
> A $400 computer that costs $800 is an expensive toy.
>
> The point is that instead of making the ST sell for $400 they should keep
> the price the same and improve the ST.
>
> I have somewhat more in mind by "improving the ST" than adding $35 worth
> of RAMs.
> -------

Ok Sherman, set the Wayback for 15 years.
Now, it is 1971 and I have an ST selling for $400.
Is this a toy?  What are your standards?  More to the point,
what is your definition of a toy?  If I price a Cray at $400,
does it suddenly become a toy?

Just curious,

Donald Keen
AT&T Consumer Products

AT&T is not curious; they couldn't care less about any replies
or my questions.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/22/86)

In article <837@inuxd.UUCP> keen@inuxd.UUCP (D Keen) writes:

>what is your definition of a toy?  If I price a Cray at $400,
>does it suddenly become a toy?

From what one person said here earlier, we can see that a Cray at
any price already is a toy.  It has external power supplies ... :-)
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim