[net.micro.atari] Atari magazines

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (01/30/86)

<>
In an article, jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>I've just gone through some efforts to become familiar with Atari-oriented
>computer magazines, and the following comments summarize my impressions.
>Bear in mind that I have only seen a few issues of most of these magazines,
>so my comments could well be unfair to some of them.

   I'll add my experiences to jhs'.  I've just let my year-long subscription
to Compute! run out, my Antic subscription is into its 7th month, and my
Analog subscription just started (though I have the last 4 issues).  I agree
with most of the comments, but will add my own.

>Antic and Analog are entirely devoted to Atari products and have
>significant sections devoted to the ST.  COMPUTE! is fairly evenhanded amongst
>the small personal computers including IBM, Apple, Commodore and Atari, but
>still has devoted significant efforts to the ST (as well as the Amiga).
>COMPUTE! has in the past provided much excellent information in book form, and
>I suspect that they will soon carry the tradition forward to the ST products.
>I have been much impressed with their virtuosity on the 8-bit Ataris, so I
>suspect that they will continue to be one of the better sources.

   Compute! does seem to have their act together.  However, due to the fact
that they cover several flavors of machines, the Atari-specific material is
necessarily low.  They come out periodically with collections of articles
and programs for each machine- there are currently three for the Atari.
Support the magazine if you like; I'll scan each issue on the newsstands,
and wait for the compendiums.  After all, I only have so much money to
spend on magazine subscriptions.

>Antic seems to be more game-oriented than the others.  Depending on your
>interests and applications, this may be good or bad.
>
>Analog seems to have the most complete selection of software and accessories
>specifically for Atari products in its advertising.  It seems to be more
>"technical" than Antic.

   The above two paragraphs are almost word-for-word what I told the Micro
Center people here when my opinion was solicited.  However, don't let that
steer you away from Antic.  They still have many non-game applications,
and best of all, handle the old APX software.  Lots of useful software
that you see mentioned on USENET is available through them.  Some of the
titles that have been popping up recently are Deep Blue C, Chameleon
terminal emulator, and Dandy (see the "Gauntlet" postings in
net.games.video).  Also, Antic has a UK edition (at least that's the im-
pression I got); I'm not sure about the others.

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Support Atari magazines!