[net.micro.atari] ANNOUNCEMENT

MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) (02/01/86)

     There have been too many "please delete" messages sent to
this list, from ninnies, twits, and cretins who refuse to read or
comprehend simple instructions.  Today, there were over a dozen
in my mail file.

     To reiterate: Requests to be ADDED TO or DELETED FROM the
INFO-ATARI list should be sent to:
	INFO-ATARI-REQUEST@SU-SCORE.ARPA
Note the "-REQUEST" in the address, kids.  The same convention is
used in hundreds of other mailing lists.

     If the flow of please delete messages does not stop, I will
set in motion a program that will repeatedly bombard the
culprit's mailboxes with megabytes of junk mail from all
directions, with no obviously discernable means of filtering out
the junk short of deleting all your mail.  If you think your UUCP
or BITNET charges are high now, just wait until I get through
with you.

     Moderator, I suggest that you decline to add any new people
to the INFO-ATARI list until they send you a message (at
INFO-ATARI-REQUEST) containing the following: "Please add me to
the INFO-ATARI list.  I understand that any change in my
membership, including address changes or removal from the list,
is to be sent to INFO-ATARI-REQUEST and not to INFO-ATARI."
-------

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (02/04/86)

>      There have been too many "please delete" messages sent to
> this list, from ninnies, twits, and cretins who refuse to read or
> comprehend simple instructions.  Today, there were over a dozen
> in my mail file.

this is true and as a former culprit i apoligize, BUT...

>      If the flow of please delete messages does not stop, I will
> set in motion a program that will repeatedly bombard the
> culprit's mailboxes with megabytes of junk mail from all
> directions, with no obviously discernable means of filtering out
> the junk short of deleting all your mail.  If you think your UUCP
> or BITNET charges are high now, just wait until I get through
> with you.

this reminds of the same logical parents use when they strike a
child to teach him/her not to hit someone smaller than themselves,
your final suggestion was far more rational, just ignore the silly
twits....
--
----
			god bless Lily St. Cyr

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575

info-atari@ucbvax.UUCP (02/10/86)

I am not one of the 'cretins' etc., but I think that the reason that
they post the requests to the newsgroup is that they can't figure out
how to mail the notes to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST. Most of these people
are probably fairly new to the USENET. Why don't you publish an article
on how to find out the path to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST.

stone@calgary.UUCP (Glen Stone) (02/12/86)

> I am not one of the 'cretins' etc., but I think that the reason that
> they post the requests to the newsgroup is that they can't figure out
> how to mail the notes to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST. Most of these people
> are probably fairly new to the USENET. Why don't you publish an article
> on how to find out the path to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST.

This would be helpful for me !!!

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (02/13/86)

I agree with the basic premise for being added to the ARPA mailing list,
but....
I don't know about the other groups, but there are three separate
'mailing lists' which are sort of like 'underground nets'.  Two
of these lists are moderated by people on subnets which are very
difficult to get mail into.  One of these is for developers, one
is for more technical information, and one is for sources, since
people have been flamed for posting sources on this group.  Several
net.micro.atari readers do not have access to net.sources and get
these via the 'mail-net'.  Ideally, all of this mailed information
should be posted to the net, but non-disclosure agreements and such
make it difficult to do so freely.  If at all possible, please pass
info via the net rather than by mail.  Does ARPA moderator forward
posted information on down the line and back up?

Also, stop flaming those who post source and uuencoded binaries to
this group.  There are at least a dozen people who have openly declared
that they do not have access to net.sources.  If someone wants to
forward sources to net.sources, that's ok, but many schools and businesses
restrict access to net.sources for a variety of very good reasons which
have nothing to do with access to ST source and binary code.

A good convention would be to have someone who has access to net.sources
forword to that group.  If you do not have access to net.sources and
need it posted to that group, request this in your posting.

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/13/86)

> I am not one of the 'cretins' etc., but I think that the reason that
> they post the requests to the newsgroup is that they can't figure out
> how to mail the notes to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST. Most of these people
> are probably fairly new to the USENET. Why don't you publish an article
> on how to find out the path to the ATARI-INFO-REQUEST.

Everyone on usenet, please read all the notes in net.announce.newuser before
you start sending questions or requests to the net. net.atari is gatewayed to
the arpa ATARI-INFO mailing list. IF YOU ARE ON USENET THERE IS NO NEED FOR
YOU TO SUBSCRIBE TO INFO-ATARI. It is equivalent to net.atari.

Sorry to bother you arpa people with this.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"What? That? It was just a filthy demon! It wasn't even from this dimension!"