[net.micro.atari] 1040ST and ROM TOS questions

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (02/17/86)

*** ***

   Since we now have an official source for Atari news here on USENET,
could we get beyond the rumors of what the 1040ST actually is?
What I've gathered is that it will be 100% compatible with 520 software,
have 1 meg of RAM, TOS on ROM, a double sided drive, a list price of
$200 more than the 520, and come nicely packaged in a single box.  Is
that correct?  Any additions?
   About TOS in ROM... a friend has a 520ST, and would like to know how
one goes about getting the ROM chips.  Should they be available from
dealers, or do you have to go directly to Atari?

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

P.S. Jim at Nicolet-- you've got a customer for your first 1040ST.  I'd be
interested in hearing what you know about availability.

neil@atari.UUCP (02/18/86)

*****

In article <1973@uwmacc.UUCP>, oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>    Since we now have an official source for Atari news here on USENET,
> could we get beyond the rumors of what the 1040ST actually is?
> What I've gathered is that it will be 100% compatible with 520 software,
> have 1 meg of RAM, TOS on ROM, a double sided drive, a list price of
> $200 more than the 520, and come nicely packaged in a single box.  Is
> that correct?  Any additions?
>    About TOS in ROM... a friend has a 520ST, and would like to know how
> one goes about getting the ROM chips.  Should they be available from
> dealers, or do you have to go directly to Atari?

The 1040ST also has a built-in power supply for both the computer and the
drive.  It looks like a 520 except for a couple of extra inches in the back
of the system  Otherwise, exactly as described above.  Look for the next
issue of Byte (March 1986) to have a full preview of the 1040ST.

The ROM chips are available from dealers.  Suggested price is $25.  If
your dealer does not know about them, tell the dealer to call Atari's
service dept.