[net.micro.atari] Downloading Un*x files

ATWELL@UTAH-20.ARPA (Bart Atwell) (02/18/86)

I have been trying to download some files from  a Un*x machine
and apparently what arrives doesn't have carriage returns.  Can
anyone send me a program to convert from Un*x to ST text format,
either to run on the ST or the host?

Thanks in advance

Bart Atwell

-------

info-atari@ucbvax.UUCP (02/20/86)

While I don't have an ST, you may want to check what the value of a
carriage return is on the ST, then use the UNIX 'tr' command to translate
a UNIX CR ('^J' or 012 octal) to the ST CR (lets say it's '^M' or 015 octal).
So on UNIX issue the command:

	tr "\012" "\015" <Unix_file >ST_file

this will change the '^J' to '^M' in the Unix_file and put the result in the
ST_file, which can then be downloaded.  This is what I do to download UNIX
files to my Atari 8-bitter (CR=233 octal).

					Owen Alexander

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/20/86)

> I have been trying to download some files from  a Un*x machine
> and apparently what arrives doesn't have carriage returns.  Can
> anyone send me a program to convert from Un*x to ST text format,
> either to run on the ST or the host?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bart Atwell
>
> -------

One of the annoying things about UNIX (compared to SENSIBLE operating
systems) is that "line feed" is the end of line marker.  Your best
bet is to write a filter under UNIX to replace '\n' with "\0x0d\n" in
the file you are downloading.

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (02/22/86)

In article <522@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>One of the annoying things about UNIX (compared to SENSIBLE operating
>systems) is that "line feed" is the end of line marker.  Your best
>bet is to write a filter under UNIX to replace '\n' with "\0x0d\n" in
>the file you are downloading.

Hmm.., why didn't you recommend he do it at the other end since it is
obviously more "SENSIBLE"...