[net.micro.atari] Doin' Simple Graphics on the 520ST

terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) (02/22/86)

Cmon guys - could one of you tell me which system routines to call to
be able to do very simple graphics (drawing lines, etc.)

My compiler (TDI Modula-2) supports all the GEM, AES, VDI, etc
but I don't know what routines to call.

My compiler came with a large graphics demo program, but I can't figure
out what I need from that, and what is unnecessary.

If someone could send me a simple example program that gets the computer
into graphics mode and draws a couple of lines, I would really appreciate
it.

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell CSNET address: terrell@ohio-state

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (02/26/86)

In article <8602220427.AA17071@ohio-state.ARPA>, terrell@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Eric Terrell) writes:
> Cmon guys - could one of you tell me which system routines to call to
> be able to do very simple graphics (drawing lines, etc.)
>
> My compiler (TDI Modula-2) supports all the GEM, AES, VDI, etc
> but I don't know what routines to call.
>
> My compiler came with a large graphics demo program, but I can't figure
> out what I need from that, and what is unnecessary.

You really should get your hands on the book "Atari ST GEM Programmers
Reference" from Abacus books.  This documents everything.  You have to do a
number of calls, starting with the v_opnvwk to open the virtual screen
workstation (to give you a unique workstation that does not conflict with
other tasks).  You can use this call to set up your default line type, line
color, marker type, marker color, character set, text color, fill type, fill
pattern index, and fill color.

Some of the graphics calls are:

v_pline... draw a polyline
v_gtext... draw text
v_fillarea... draw a filled polygon
v_contourfill... perform a flood fill
vr_recfl... draw a filled rectangle
v_arc... draw an arc
v_pieslice... draw a pie slice
v_circle... draw a circle
vs_color... set one of the palette colors
set_color... set polyline color
set_type... set polyline type (solid, dashed, etc.)
set_effect... set text special effects (bold, italic, etc.)
set_interior... set fill interior style (hollow, solid, dots, etc.)

There are _lots_ more -- you really need the book to get all the parameters.

--->Neil @ Atari
    Usenet: ...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil
    CIS: 70007,1135
    BIX: neilharris