[net.micro.atari] 520ST prices

franco@iuvax.UUCP (02/21/86)

I just spoke with aa Atari retailer in Indianapolis that is offering some
pretty good prices on ST stuff.  For Example:

1. A 520ST, Single Sided Drive, Color Monitor for $800.00
   Check or Cach Price (add 5% for Credit Card, add 5% for tax within IN)
   The price includes only the software that comes with the particular
   machine you buy.  If you want all free software that Atari will eventually
   make available (NEOCHROME, STBASIC, LOGO, STWRITER) you should also
   include about four disks and $20 copy charge or $50 for a package of disks
   some of which will be used to copy the above onto (you keep all ten
   disks).

2. If you buy the above you may purchase VIP for an additional $125.00

3. If you buy the ST above you may purchase a second, double sided drive
   for $250.00

If interested give a call to Pat McGraw at 317-291-8882 or write

       Pat McGraw
       Microcomputers Inc.
       3350 N. High School Rd.
       Indianapolis, IN 46224

I have no connection with Microcomputers Inc.  I have never even been there.
However, a friend of mine has been there so we know the place exists.  I
cannot say anything about the service one might expect from this
organization.  However, Pat was easy to talk to on the phone, seemed helpful
and WANTS to sell computers.  What the heck.

franco@iuvax.UUCP (02/21/86)

I left out that the $800.00 ST has a guarantee. (apparently a seller
of STs has the option not to include a guarantee - in that case the
distributor knocks off about 4% or 6% (I can't remeber which))

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (02/27/86)

In article <500041@iuvax.UUCP>, franco@iuvax.UUCP writes:

> I just spoke with aa Atari retailer in Indianapolis that is offering some
> pretty good prices on ST stuff.
>
>    The price includes only the software that comes with the particular
>    machine you buy.  If you want all free software that Atari will
>    eventually make available (NEOCHROME, STBASIC, LOGO, STWRITER) you should
>    also include about four disks and $20 copy charge or $50 for a package of
>    disks some of which will be used to copy the above onto (you keep all ten
>    disks).

Since BASIC and Logo comes packed in _every_ ST we have sold for the last 2
months, and we are also packing 1st Word and Neochrome currently, there is
something fishy about the copy charges.  Legally, a dealer _cannot_ copy
BASIC, Logo, or 1st Word.  We have granted permission to copy Neochrome and
ST Writer for free.  $5 apiece is a tad steep for copying 2 disks.

--->Neil @ Atari
    Usenet: ...lll-crg!vecpyr!atari!neil
    CIS: 70007,1135
    BIX: neilharris
    Atari BBS: 408-745-5308

In article <500042@iuvax.UUCP>, franco@iuvax.UUCP writes:

> I left out that the $800.00 ST has a guarantee. (apparently a seller
> of STs has the option not to include a guarantee - in that case the
> distributor knocks off about 4% or 6% (I can't remeber which))

Oh no!!!!!  Lets get this straight -- the dealer gets a discount for
providing service.  All machines are guaranteed!!!!

--->Neil @ Atari

franco@iuvax.UUCP (03/01/86)

All of what I said in this note is what I was told by the dealer.
Buyer Beware.
Thanks, Neil, for getting things straight

Incidentally, the dealer really is under the impression that there are
two prices - one with guarantee and one without.  Also, it seems I have
heard this someplace else.