[net.social] Advice needed on throwing a stag

paulb@hcrvax.UUCP (Paul Bonneau) (11/22/84)

[Out vile jelly!]

Hello folks.  With all the cumulative experience and sagacity out there I
hope I can get some advice.

I have been asked to the best man for a good friend who is getting married
in April next year.  So I will be throwing a stag for him.  However, I have
never done this before and don't really know where to start.  For instance

	how do I go about finding a hall/bar/whatever to hold it in?

	what is the standard way of arranging for a bar?  Do I purchase
	liquor ahead of time, have them serve it, and give the profits
	to the groom (boy what a name, sounds like something that lives
	under a bridge and eats virgins - oops! freudian slip).

	Also does anybody have any alternative suggestions to the standard
	porno flick show?  I find that these get pretty boring as the night
	wears on and kind of have this naive feeling that I could throw a
	FUN party.

Any advice at all on things to arrange and stuff to beware of would be most
appreciated.
				Thanks in advance...
--
I'm a man!  I'm not a horse!		Paul Bonneau
					{decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!hcr!hcrvax

louie@umd5.UUCP (11/27/84)

In article <1532@hcrvax.UUCP> paulb@hcrvax.UUCP (Paul Bonneau) writes:
>Hello folks.  With all the cumulative experience and sagacity out there I
>hope I can get some advice.
>		.
>		.
>	Also does anybody have any alternative suggestions to the standard
>	porno flick show?  I find that these get pretty boring as the night
>	wears on and kind of have this naive feeling that I could throw a
>	FUN party.

At the one that I threw a few weeks ago, this wasn't a problem; when they
begin to get boring (or evidence of a plot on the film is seen), shift into
scan-forward-at-3-times-normal speed on the VCR.  Much more entertaining!

Louis A. Mamakos
Computer Science Center - Systems Programming
University of Maryland, College Park

Internet: louie@umd5.arpa
UUCP: ..!seismo!cvl!umd5!louie

amra@ihuxj.UUCP (Steven L. Aldrich) (11/29/84)

From: louie@umd5.UUCP

In article <1532@hcrvax.UUCP> paulb@hcrvax.UUCP (Paul Bonneau) writes:
>Hello folks.  With all the cumulative experience and sagacity out there I
>hope I can get some advice.
>		.
>		.
>	Also does anybody have any alternative suggestions to the standard
>	porno flick show?  I find that these get pretty boring as the night
>	wears on and kind of have this naive feeling that I could throw a
>	FUN party.

At the one that I threw a few weeks ago, this wasn't a problem; when they
begin to get boring (or evidence of a plot on the film is seen), shift into
scan-forward-at-3-times-normal speed on the VCR.  Much more entertaining!

Louis A. Mamakos
Computer Science Center - Systems Programming
University of Maryland, College Park

Internet: louie@umd5.arpa
UUCP: ..!seismo!cvl!umd5!louie

  ===> OR YOU MIGHT TRY SHOWING THEM IN "REVERSE" FOR EVEN MORE LAUGHS! <===
  ===> I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH VCR's BUT IT SHOULD WORK <===
  ===>  WITH MANY(MOST) MOVIE PROJECTORS. { You Remember What Those Are?) <===

   Steve Aldrich (ihnp4!ihuxj!amra)
  "If I Lose My Mind, I Hope Someone Will Turn It In!" G.Carlin

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/29/84)

>>	Also does anybody have any alternative suggestions to the standard
>>	porno flick show?  I find that these get pretty boring as the night
>>	wears on and kind of have this naive feeling that I could throw a
>>	FUN party.

> At the one that I threw a few weeks ago, this wasn't a problem; when they
> begin to get boring (or evidence of a plot on the film is seen), shift into
> scan-forward-at-3-times-normal speed on the VCR.  Much more entertaining!

There are certain scenes that are, uh, very unusual and somewhat intriguing
when seen in reverse...

(Don't look at me, the idea came from my friend's ex-husband!)
--
Now I've lost my train of thought. I'll have to catch the bus of thought.
			Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

1314jb@houxf.UUCP (J.BOKOR) (12/01/84)

>	Also does anybody have any alternative suggestions to the standard
>	porno flick show?  I find that these get pretty boring as the night
>	wears on and kind of have this naive feeling that I could throw a
>	FUN party.

Have you considered *live* entertainment?  Most cities have some sort
of underground newspaper where ideas might be obtained.  For example,
the singing strip-o-gram...