[net.social] Social conventions

llfe@hound.UUCP (L.FENG) (12/27/84)

Here's a question that I've been wondering about for sometime now.

Just about everyone I know looks for a wedding ring to see if a woman
(sometimes, men too) is married.  So what does one do if one is allergic
to metals (long periods of skin contact)?  Buying a ring and then wearing
it only when going out seems to me to be a waste of money.  Not buying
or not wearing a ring seems to me to be inviting trouble.

Comments, anyone?
--
From the lunch hour of hound!llfe.

hawk@oliven.UUCP (Rick) (12/30/84)

>Here's a question that I've been wondering about for sometime now.

>Just about everyone I know looks for a wedding ring to see if a woman
>(sometimes, men too) is married.  So what does one do if one is allergic
>to metals (long periods of skin contact)?  Buying a ring and then wearing
>it only when going out seems to me to be a waste of money.  Not buying
>or not wearing a ring seems to me to be inviting trouble.

>Comments, anyone?

Depends upon how cheap the guy was! :-)

Gold rings and other jewelry tend to cause less problems than
some other metals (although I do have an Aunt who had problems with gold.)

rick

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (12/30/84)

In article <796@hound.UUCP> llfe@hound.UUCP (L.FENG) writes:
>Here's a question that I've been wondering about for sometime now.
>
>Just about everyone I know looks for a wedding ring to see if a woman
>(sometimes, men too) is married.  So what does one do if one is allergic
>to metals (long periods of skin contact)?  Buying a ring and then wearing
>it only when going out seems to me to be a waste of money.  Not buying
>or not wearing a ring seems to me to be inviting trouble.
>
>Comments, anyone?
>--
>From the lunch hour of hound!llfe.

Yeah, I have a comment: it sounds like the rumors are true.
Congratulations!

A friend of mine is also allergic to metal.  Turns out she can wear
gold. (probably has to be 24k)

If there aren't problems with having a naked ring finger now,
there shouldn't be problems with it later.  Remember, the problems
tend to be getting "hit on".  Friends who wonder why you're not wearing
a wedding ring should accept "metal allergy" as a reason.  If they
don't, what sort of friends are they?

        _____
	|___|		the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_			Snoopy
       \_____/		tektronix!tekecs!seifert <- NEW ADDRESS !!!
        \___/

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (12/31/84)

I've seen wedding bands of jade, of wood and even of plastic (for you
really high tech types.)  While it is traditional that a wedding band
be of gold or white gold, there is no requirement that it be so.  Frankly,
I think a stone ring would be quite striking!
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch