[net.social] What is an SO??

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (01/15/85)

I have asked this question, got no response, so I'll try again:

	WHAT THE HELL IS AN SO???

It's kinda tough trying to catch up on the latest social mores if
you have no idea what the others are talking about. Unless this is
is a plot.... What, me paranoid? Naah...

Marcel Simon
..!mhuxr!mfs

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (01/16/85)

In article <197@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:
>I have asked this question, got no response, so I'll try again:
>
>	WHAT THE HELL IS AN SO???

 I didn't respond because I figured everyone else would :-) [smiley-face]
 Maybe this time everyone else will and we'll be deluged with
 answers - none in agreement!

           SO     - Significant Other
           MOTOS  - Member Of The Opposite Sex
           MOTSS  - Member Of The Same Sex
           MOTAS  - Member Of The Appropriate (?) Sex
           BTW    - By The Way
           WRT    - With Regard To
           wombat - cuddly animal - net mascot
           chuqui - ditto :-)
--

 rod williams
 [decvax!decwrl!amdcad!dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw]

rat@astrovax.UUCP (Stephen J. Ratcliff) (01/18/85)

> I have asked this question, got no response, so I'll try again:
>
> 	WHAT THE HELL IS AN SO???

	SO = Significant Other [person in your life]
	       i.e. generic term for wife, husband, lover, boyfriend, etc.
	MOTOS = Member Of The Opposite Sex
	MOTSS = Member Of The Same Sex
	MOTAS = Member Of The Appropriate Sex

Happy reading....

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/19/85)

Though we all know that "SO" stands for "significant other", and is used to
avoid such constructions as "spouse/lover/roommate/date", I do wonder a
bit about the way people use it myself.

Does "SO" mean  "sexual partner", without exception?

That is, if your posting refers to "my SO at work", are you saying
explicitly and specifically that you are referring to a coworker you
have sex with? Or would it include "platonic" relationships, or simply
friendships?

I've been reading the sexual aspect in-between-the-lines everytime I
see "SO"; have I been wrong or right in that assumption?

Will

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (01/22/85)

In article <7519@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Though we all know that "SO" stands for "significant other", and is used to
>avoid such constructions as "spouse/lover/roommate/date", I do wonder a
>bit about the way people use it myself.
>
>Does "SO" mean  "sexual partner", without exception?

NO! NO! NO!

It implies some level of romantic involvement, it does not imply sex.
(it doesn't imply that sex is absent, either)

We have plenty of words which imply sex, lets not corrupt "SO".
We need a "word" which doesn't imply sex. SO works well.

		from the USENET expert on "puppy love",
        _____
	|___|		the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_			Snoopy
       \_____/		tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

raston@rabbit.UUCP (01/22/85)

That's funny.  The phrase I've been hearing lately is
SE, for Spouse Equivelant.  I think that it's not quite
what is meant by SO, but is a useful acronym in itself.

What do you all think.

=====
rabbit!raston (we don't get mail)

ag5@pucc-k (Henry Mensch) (01/24/85)

<<>>

>Does "SO" mean  "sexual partner", without exception?

	I don't think so ... I take SO ("Significant Other") literally;
thus Kathy can be a SO for me, but not a sexual partner (indeed, it's
kinda impossible in this case: she's getting married next month and I'm
gay)...

	Of course, when I am in a relationship with another guy, then
he can be a SO and the sexual aspect can be present ...

	The whole idea of a SO is indeed very fuzzy ... Maybe we can
"define" it here?

Henry C. Mensch |  User Confuser  | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|purdue|uiucdcs|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
		   "Shooting stars never stop
 		    even when they reach the top."