[net.social] Another singles subject

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/31/85)

>From: becky@cylixd.UUCP (Becky Bates)
>Newsgroups: net.singles,net.social
>Subject: Another singles subject (subjected to church single groups)

>Have you ever enjoyed going to singles groups at church? ...

I went to a Unitarian singles group for a while.  Never met anyone I wanted
to  date.  This was probably because most of the women in the group already
had SOs.  They finally changed the name of the group when I accused them of
false advertising (-: .

>                 ...  Do you have parents that suggest getting into
>things like a semi-dating services.  There is an agency here
>in Memphis that is called "Two For Lunch" and arranges a DUTCH treat
>lunch with a compatible partner.  What do any of you think about these
>things?  I am literally terrified of these kinds of things. ...

My parents have learned not to meddle in my relationships or lack of  same.
(Amazing how cutting off communication for a year or three cuts down on the
nagging.)

I've always been leery of blind dates and  I've  never  gone  to  a  dating
service.  On  the  other  hand,  a  friend met her husband that way, so who
knows?  With regard to the more expensive dating services, I maintain that,
in  spite  of  all  the  liberation,  a woman can look at the expense as an
investment, but a man has to think of it as a down payment.

>How do any of you people out there meet others of the opposite sex? ...

I've been going to a lot of Mensa parties and regional  gatherings  lately.
They've become a good place for me to meet MOTOS.  This will probably start
the Mensa debate all over again, but you can  contact  me  at  the  address
below  for  more information.

>Some of you have been mentioning living together as an alternative to
>marriage or as a way to find out if you are compatable.  I only speak for
>myself but I have had too many friends that have been in that situation
>and it very rarely works out.  ...

Two of my friends just got married after living together for about 3 years.
They  seemed  very happy both before and after.  The only time I ever lived
with an SO, the relationship was non-sexual.  We got along well for a year,
then  I  went  back  to  school and she bought a new house with another SO.
We're still good friends and I still consider her an SO (broadly defined).

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe