[net.social] Why marriages fail.

joe@fluke.UUCP (Joe Kelsey) (02/06/85)

>From: tracy@hcrvx1.UUCP (Tracy Tims)
>I think that people get married too young.

Well, getting married too young is not the only reason for marriages to
fail.  You can just as easily get married at the ripe old age of 28
(which, I suppose, some people would still interpret as too young), and
still not have a successful marriage.  I think that Tracy had some
excellent comments on why any realationship will fail, but especially
why a marriage will fail.  After all, I, and most people I know,
consider marriage to be a *special* commitment to a (hopefully) lasting
relationship.  When it doesn't work, we may feel more desire to try to
make it work, but there are always those "outside" circumstances which
can mess up anyone's "best laid plans."

I think I learned more about myself during the last two years than I
ever expected to.  I sometimes wish that I could go back and do
something differently (ain't hindsight great!), but that was then and
this is now.  Right now, I am ready to move along and get back to the
business of living.  Since the separation is friendly, my wife and I
stand a good chance of still being friends in the future, although it
looks like divorce is the most likely outcome right now.  For me at
least, I now believe that open, clear communication is the key to any
relationship, from work relationships to intimate ones.  The hard part
comes in breaking habits of a lifetime, but that is my problem and I
don't want to get into it here.

I guess I just need to go find some Powdermilk Biscuits - they give shy
people the strength to do what needs to be done!

/Joe