[net.social] Living in sin? Why marriages fail.

tracy@hcrvx1.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (01/29/85)

Back a few decades ago, a sidereal observer could predict how most men
and women would grow up.  You'd basically know how they would think
about success, money, religion, raising their kids and their careers.
Sure, there were exceptions, but on the whole society was more
homogenous with respect to playing sex roles.

Now, though, it is possible for an individual to find peers that will
support almost any belief or behaviour.  There is an unprecedented
opportunity to choose a dissenting lifestyle, and not become a pariah
as a result.  People are allowed (even encouraged) to keep growing and
changing, to discover their true "nature" rather than attempting to
reiterate the norm.

Marriage back then was a simpler matter.  A woman and a man would have
a pretty clear understanding of what the relationship should be like
(what all marriages should be like) and what each other would be like.
Few people seriously questioned the idealized structure of marriage.
They would be able to predict over a long period of time the character
and behaviour of their mate, and be able to depend on it.

Many couples that I know of getting married now are getting married for
reasons which may have worked in the 1950's, but won't work in the
1980's.  Most of the people involved are still growing, and still have
the capability for change, both in attitudes and behaviour.  At the age
of thirty, many people are only getting an inkling of what behaviours
they are really comfortable with.  Most of the marriages of my friends
have failed because one or both of the people involved suddenly
realized that they or their partner were simply not the person that had
gotten married, and that the "problem" (if you will) that the marriage
was to solve was in fact not a problem at all.

Is it important to stay committed in all circumstances?  I think not.
Better divorce than resentment for life.  These are people who would
always regret not taking their own direction in later years, if they
stuck by the marriage.  It is possible to talk about "making the marriage
work" as long as the problems are ones of adjustment.  If the problem
is a fundamental misunderstanding of the people involved, trying to
make the marriage work may be wrong and pointless.  Children, of course,
complicate all of this.

I think that people get married too young.  We are at a crossroads in
social expectations.  On one hand there is the tremendous danger to
marriage that I have described, which argues for later marriages, and
hard work coming to grips with oneself, and on the other hand the is
the "alienation" of people in modern society, which can force them to
seek escape in another person (before seeking strength in themselves).
The classical solution to loneliness is to get married and we still
believe that.  It was a good solution, because in your social class one
spouse was probably as good as another.  No longer, though, and I think
that we will need to adapt our expectations of marriage to the new
reality.

                              Tracy Tims    {linus,allegra,decvax}!watmath!...
   Human Computing Resources Corporation                     {ihnp4,utzoo}!...
 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937                   ...hcr!hcrvx1!tracy

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (02/01/85)

> From: tracy@hcrvx1.UUCP (Tracy Tims)

> Is it important to stay committed in all circumstances?  I think not.
> Better divorce than resentment for life.  These are people who would
> always regret not taking their own direction in later years, if they
> stuck by the marriage.  It is possible to talk about "making the marriage
> work" as long as the problems are ones of adjustment.  If the problem
> is a fundamental misunderstanding of the people involved, trying to
> make the marriage work may be wrong and pointless.  Children, of course,
> complicate all of this.

In my original message, I said that I thought it was better not to marry than
to marry and to break up.  I still hold to that, but I admit there are excep-
tions.  (You should see my mailbox :-)  If (1) the marriage should have never
taken place, ie. one married the other for some sort of convenience reasons,
or (2) one of the parties makes it absolutely abominable for the other, then
I guess divorce is the only solution, IF some sort of counseling has been tried
and failed.

I guess I got a little carried away in my posting, but lately I've seen too
many marriages going (or gone) down the drain, and I'm appalled at the apathy
of the couples, as if they really didn't care what was happening to them.  It's
pretty depressing for a person who is unmarried and looking forward to having
a happy marriage one day to be exposed to this.

** sigh **
--
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

glc@akgua.UUCP (G.L. Cleveland [Lindsay]) (02/25/85)

I'd like to respond to an earlier comment.

Said by:
>Greg Skinner (gregbo) {allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
>
>I guess I got a little carried away in my posting, but lately I've seen too
>many marriages going (or gone) down the drain, and I'm appalled at the apathy
>of the couples, as if they really didn't care what was happening to them.

I too am dismayed at the number of divorces, but we "outsiders"
must remember that we aren't living in the house with those folks
day after day.  We don't know what's going on and how bad things
really are.  What we may view as "apathy" may in fact be
"resignation" or just a reflection of the psychological "defensive
walls" they may have had to put up around themselves.  You may have
noticed that in the months before the actual split-up, they have
withdrawn into themselves to some degree.  And afterward it
ususally takes a while before the divorcee emerges from his/her
shell.

As any marriage councellor can tell you, when a couple breaks
up, both of them carry around some mixture of:

  1. I didn't do well.  I have failed.
  2. As good as I was, so-and-so didn't appreciate me.

With those sorts of feelings inside, an appearance of apathy at the
time of parting is easier to understand.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland  (...{ihnp4|mcnc|sdcsvax|clyde}!akgua!glc)
AT&T Technologies/Bell Laboratories ... Atlanta, Ga
(404) 447-3909 ...  Cornet 583-3909