[net.social] Work Ethic

ehenjum@udenva.UUCP (Jack Lindsey) (05/21/85)

Recently, the following quote was taped up by the time cards in my
department:

          "The worker ... feels himself at home only during his
           leisure time, whereas at work he feels homeless.  His
           work is not voluntary but imposed, 'forced labour'.
           It is not the satisfaction of a need, but only a 'means'
           for satisfying other needs.  Its alien character is
           clearly shown by the fact that as soon as there is no
           physical or other compulsion it is avoided like the
           plague."
                                Marx, 'Early Writings'

Understanding that the posting was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it
points to the fact that many people I have spoken with are
dissatisfied with their jobs, and tend to do the *minimum* required to
keep from being fired, taking the attitude that creativity and
initiative are not attributes which are rewarded in the workplace.

The attitude that work is *only* a "means for satisfying other needs"
does not seem to be unique to a particular industry or salary level,
and, taking the converse, people I have met who find an inherent
*satisfaction* in working do not fall into any particular occupational
or wage category.

I am posting this to net.social, in spite of the reference to Marx,
because I view it as more of a social than a political issue.  Is work
something that we must simply tolerate in order to make the $$ to buy
that VCR and keep groceries in the 'fridge, or are the $$ only part of
the reason for working?  Most of us spend 40+ hours/week at this
activity, so perhaps a fuller understanding of why we are doing it is
worth seeking.

I am reminded of that old story of the young man who went to the Wells
Fargo office and asked if he could drive a team.  The drivers agreed to
take the young man along with them and see how he did.  After several
trips riding shotgun, and several trips driving under supervision, the
young man had proved himself to be a competent hand.  The young man
was ecstatic when the local agent told him he could have a job and
drive the teams unassisted.  The agent told the young man that he
would pay him five dollars a week for the job, to which the young man
replied in astonishment, "You mean people get PAID to do this?"

Comments?

==================
Jack Lindsey   University of Denver
UUCP ONLY: {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!ehenjum
or {boulder, cires, denelcor, ucbvax!nbires, cisden}!udenva!ehenjum
[]

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (05/23/85)

In article <686@udenva.UUCP> ehenjum@udenva.UUCP (Jack Lindsey) writes:

>Recently, the following quote was taped up by the time cards in my
>department:
>
>          "The worker ... feels himself at home only during his
>           leisure time, whereas at work he feels homeless.  His
>           work is not voluntary but imposed, 'forced labour'.
>           It is not the satisfaction of a need, but only a 'means'
>           for satisfying other needs.  Its alien character is
>           clearly shown by the fact that as soon as there is no
>           physical or other compulsion it is avoided like the
>           plague."
>                                Marx, 'Early Writings'
>

>I am posting this to net.social, in spite of the reference to Marx,
>because I view it as more of a social than a political issue.  Is work
>something that we must simply tolerate in order to make the $$ to buy
>that VCR and keep groceries in the 'fridge, or are the $$ only part of
>the reason for working?  Most of us spend 40+ hours/week at this
>activity, so perhaps a fuller understanding of why we are doing it is
>worth seeking.

Why "in spite of the reference to Marx"?  Marx dealt with the human
condition as he saw it.  Only recently have we split this study up into
artificial categories such as "economics", "politics" and "sociology".

The quote is part of the basis of his work on alienation.  He goes on to
say that the worker is alienated from the product of his labor, because he
has no control over it.  I have heard very few people even try to refute
this statement.

--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/23/85)

It's simply a matter of definition; if it is "work", you are doing
it to earn money to really LIVE the rest of the time. If you happen
to luck out, and find you can get paid for doing something you
enjoy and would do even if you were not being paid for it (assuming
you could get access to the equipment, etc.), then maybe it could
be better termed a "vocation" instead of "work".

(I've never felt that people should be defined in terms of what they
do to earn money, yet that is the main factor or quality that is
always considered -- you meet a stranger, and, usually, somewhere early
in the conversation, one will ask the other, "And what do you do?", meaning
what work do they perform. Actually, people are probably better defined
by their hobbies than their jobs!)

Will

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/23/85)

In article <686@udenva.UUCP> ehenjum@udenva.UUCP (Jack Lindsey) writes:
>                                                               Is work
>something that we must simply tolerate in order to make the $$ to buy
>that VCR and keep groceries in the 'fridge, or are the $$ only part of
>the reason for working?  Most of us spend 40+ hours/week at this
>activity, so perhaps a fuller understanding of why we are doing it is
>worth seeking.

By coincidence this subject was covered in  some  depth  last  night  in  a
course  in  "The Human Side of Systems" I'm taking at UCLA.  It seems there
are a lot of factors involved in job satisfaction and not all of  them  act
as  one  might  expect.  I  don't have my notes with me, but here's some of
what I recall:

It's important not  to  confuse  job  context  with  job  content.  Context
includes such things as retirement plans, health insurance, and even salary
and raises.  The theory is that these things can't make you happy  at  your
work.  Their abscence will make you unhappy but there presence only returns
you to a not-unhappy condition.  Job content is where your job satisfaction
really  comes  from.  This is where the concepts of meaningful and creative
work come into play.

For a person's work to be meaningful to them  certain  conditions  must  be
met.  An  analogy  was drawn with the activities of a bowling team.  On the
face of it, rolling a ball at  some  pins  is  a  pretty  simple,  mindless
activity  --  much  more so than most of our jobs -- yet people pay for the
privilidege of doing it.  The motivations are revealed by changing  certain
aspects of the game and watching the results.

First, suppose you're rolling a ball down an alley with no pins at the end.
You'd  get  pretty  bored with that in a hurry.  Suppose you had to do that
all day?

Second, suppose the pins are there but there's a curtain across  the  alley
so  you  can't  see them.  You have to rely on someone else to tell you how
many you hit, or you get no  information  about  it  at  all.  Suppose  you
didn't think you could trust the person who was giving you the information.

While  these  analogies  aren't  perfect,  the  parallels  in   many   work
environments  are  easily  drawn.  Assembly  line workers who never see the
final product and get only intermittent feedback on their  performance  are
an obvious case.

Of course, if you had to punch a timeclock and bowl 8 hours  a  day,  every
day,  you'd get pretty fed up with that eventually.  Having some say in how
and when things get done in the work environment is also important  to  job
satisfaction.

Personalities also come into  the  equations.  Some  people  actually  like
mindless,  monotonous  jobs  because  they  have time to think or talk with
their co-workers while working.

I could go on for a while, but this is getting too long for a first  reply.
I think Mark Twain had the right idea, anyway.  As he put it:

"Work is what one is obliged to do.  Play is what one is not obliged to do."

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (05/24/85)

> ...many people I have spoken with are
> dissatisfied with their jobs, and tend to do the *minimum* required to
> keep from being fired...
>
> Comments?

  Yes. If you don't like your job, find one you do like. It's ridiculous to
spend 40+ hours a week doing something you don't like, when there are plenty
of enjoyable things to do for which you can be paid. I think people that stick
with jobs they hate are doing it to satisfy some inner psychological need
(like, they believe jobs have to be bad and they get to be right about that,
and about how the world has "screwed them over", by sticking with a job they
hate). I have little sympathy for such people. If you aren't *qualified* to
do what you like, then *get* qualified. Go back to school. Do what it takes
to get a job you like or don't complain about the job you have.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

     "...I may not be right but I've never been wrong
      It seldom turns out the way it does in the song..."

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (05/24/85)

Greg Woods writes:
> . . . If you don't like your job, find one you do like. It's ridiculous to
>spend 40+ hours a week doing something you don't like, when there are plenty
>of enjoyable things to do for which you can be paid. I think people that stick
>with jobs they hate are doing it to satisfy some inner psychological need
>(like, they believe jobs have to be bad and they get to be right about that,
>and about how the world has "screwed them over", by sticking with a job they
>hate). I have little sympathy for such people. If you aren't *qualified* to
>do what you like, then *get* qualified. Go back to school. Do what it takes
>to get a job you like or don't complain about the job you have.

For many of us, Greg's comments are very good.  We have opportunities to
find something we like to do that also pays fairly well.  However, for a
great many people in this world, the things they do to put food on the
table are not things they would like to be doing. Very often, people don't
have a chance to work at something they enjoy.  They MAY be given a choice
of several jobs that aren't fun, but the one they choose may only be the
least boring, distasteful, or degrading.  I agree that if they have an
opportunity to do something they like, they should grab that brass ring,
but few of us have those opportunities.

Another aspect of this topic is the mass of students in computer science
programs.  How many of them really enjoy computer science? How many of
them just see it as a means of making money?  I know that other fields
have had similar problems, but it doesn't look like we've come close to
flooding the job market.  A few years down the road, I wonder how many
of these people will be complaining about their jobs?

				Beth Katz
				Univ. of Maryland - CS Dept.
				{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (05/25/85)

In article <ttidcc.441> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP Jerry Hollombe (The Polymath)
writes:

>For a person's work to be meaningful to them  certain  conditions  must  be
>met.  An  analogy  was drawn with the activities of a bowling team.  On the
>face of it, rolling a ball at  some  pins  is  a  pretty  simple,  mindless
>activity  --  much  more so than most of our jobs -- yet people pay for the
>privilidege of doing it.  The motivations are revealed by changing  certain
>aspects of the game and watching the results.
>
>Second, suppose the pins are there but there's a curtain across  the  alley
>so  you  can't  see them.  You have to rely on someone else to tell you how
>many you hit, or you get no  information  about  it  at  all.  Suppose  you
>didn't think you could trust the person who was giving you the information.

Boy did that article strike a raw nerve with me!

When bowling, suppose your score was based upon what the previous bowler
rolled, whereas your pins hit were awarded to the next guy in line.
How would that affect your morale and motivation?

This is the situation that programmers routinely face.
If I develop a kludgy new system as fast as I can,
the boss rewards me for being a competent (i.e. fast) programmer.
The next guy who must maintain my system takes forever to get anything done
because my system is so hard to understand.  The boss punishes him for his
incompetency.

Suppose I take the time to develop a system that is clean, simple
and predictable.  Since the boss won't read my code, he doesn't appreciate
its quality.  Since I take longer to complete the project, he has a reduced
opinion of my skills.  But, when I'm gone, the next guy has an easier job.

Not only does this situation produce programmer burnout, it's probably
the reason most code today is so bad, and why program maintenance budgets
are soaring.

	Frank Silbermann

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/25/85)

In article <10971@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>(I've never felt that people should be defined in terms of what they
>do to earn money, yet that is the main factor or quality that is
>always considered -- you meet a stranger, and, usually, somewhere early
>in the conversation, one will ask the other, "And what do you do?", meaning
>what work do they perform. Actually, people are probably better defined
>by their hobbies than their jobs!)

How about more flexibity and less dogmatic statements. :-) :-)
I think people are defined (whatever that means) by a thing
to the degree that the thing occupies the person's energy/thoughts/etc.
For some people it's hobbies more than work, for others it's work more
than hobbies,... or relationships, or neighborhood, or religion, or
minority status.

>It's simply a matter of definition; if it is "work", you are doing
>it to earn money to really LIVE the rest of the time. If you happen
>to luck out, and find you can get paid for doing something you
>enjoy and would do even if you were not being paid for it (assuming
>you could get access to the equipment, etc.), then maybe it could
>be better termed a "vocation" instead of "work".

If I enjoy what-I-get-paid-for one day, but don't want to go to work
the next (rather sleep in), just my work appear and a vocation vanish.
:-)  :-)

Let's stick to common ordinary English rather than redefine words.
I think 'work' in this discussion was meant to be synonymous with 'occupation',
which it often is in common ordinary English.
:-)  :-)
--

Rob Bernardo, San Francisco, California
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

neal@denelvx.UUCP (Neal Weidenhofer) (05/26/85)

> The quote is part of the basis of his [Marx's] work on alienation.  He goes on to
> say that the worker is alienated from the product of his labor, because he
> has no control over it.  I have heard very few people even try to refute
> this statement.
>
> liz sommers

	I would (try to refute it) but I'm too busy enjoying my job :-(

			Regards,
				Neal Weidenhofer
"Blame it on the Rolling	Denelcor, Inc.
	Stones"			<hao|csu-cs|brl-bmd>!denelcor!neal

31698957@sdcc3.UUCP (31698957) (05/30/85)

	For those of you who are debating this one, the best thing
I have ever seen on this subject is the article "A Message to
Garcia" by Elbert Hubbard.  The only place I _know_ to find it is
Wood's _Treasury of the Familiar,_ but I understand it is rather
widely circulated.  I would punch it in, but it's several pages.

A relevant quote (but get the whole thing anyway):
	"  The point that I wish to make is this: McKinley
	gave Rowan a letter to be delivered to Garcia;
	Rowan took the letter and did not ask, "Where is he at?"
	   By the Eternal! there is a man whose form should
	be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed
	in every college of the land.  It is not book-
	learninng younng men need, nor instruction about
	this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which
	will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act
	promptly, concentrate their energies: do the
	thing -- 'Carry a message to Garcia.'"

	Anyway, what I seem to be saying here, is what self-
respecting person can take on a job, accept the responsibilities
and rewards that come with it, and fail to do at least 100%
of the job, let alone to do a better job than that "required" of
him, and thereby advance.  In any job there is room for the
*mind* of the producer to improve the product.

					*-BlacklighT-*

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (06/03/85)

> I agree that if they have an
> opportunity to do something they like, they should grab that brass ring,
> but few of us have those opportunities.

  My point was that, if it is sufficiently important to you, you go out and
*create* the opportunity to grab that brass ring, and you start by getting
rid of any beliefs you may have that it can't be done, because they will
*surely* stop you. Human beings are *very* attached to being right about their
beliefs, even negative ones, and will make themselves unhappy all their lives
just to avoid being wrong. As a case in point, I used to believe that I was
a failure with women, but since I let go of my desire to be right about that,
I have created the most wonderful relationship imaginable. It's not so hard
to get rid of beliefs; all it takes is an awareness of what they are, and an
awareness of the things you do to be right about them. I do not buy it when
you say that "some of us never have that opportunity". Obviously, some people
*believe* that, and by never even trying they get to be right (*and* stuck
in a job they hate, and they get to play martyr, etc.)

--Greg