[net.social] Sports and Jews

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/12/85)

In article <acf4.1560066> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
>Perhaps secular Jews, but not traditional Jews, many of whom tend to be
>sports fanatics.

Fanatic as Spectators or participants?  The traditional Jews I knew in N.Y.
followed all the major teams, because they enjoyed gambling on the outcomes.
But as for sports participation -- most considered sports to be merely
a way to pass the time, when you had nothing better to do (a rare occasion).

The non-Jews I grew up with in Palatka, Florida, on the other hand,
considered athletic prowess to be the prime measurement of manhood.

>Also, Jews aren't really an ethnic group.

No?  Then what is your definition of "ethic group",
that American Jews do not qualify?

	Frank Silbermann

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (06/13/85)

> What is your definition of "ethic group",
> that American Jews do not qualify?
>
> 	Frank Silbermann

Talk about Freudian slips.

rich@sdcc12.UUCP (rich) (06/13/85)

I bicycle
I run
I work out, but not at those yuppie clubs.
I preffer non-team sports where everybodies' god damn egos get in
   the way.
I play soccer.
I do not gamble.
I hate the 'thrill of victory'. I feel that it is the wrong
   motivation.

I saw a baseball game in 1978
I saw a hockey game in 1981
I saw a football game in 1982
I once watched part of a fight.

I am jewish, in race.

And what the hell am I replying to this stupid article for??

-rich

ps. Judy , are you proportional?

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/15/85)

In article <sdcc12.378> rich@sdcc12.UUCP (rich) writes:
>	I do not gamble.
>	I hate the 'thrill of victory'. I feel that it is the wrong
>	   motivation.
>	I saw a baseball game in 1978
>	I saw a hockey game in 1981
>	I saw a football game in 1982
>	I once watched part of a fight.
>
>	I bicycle
>	I work out, but not at those yuppie clubs.
>	I preffer non-team sports where everybodies' god damn egos get in
>	   the way.
>	I play soccer.
>	I run
>	I am jewish, in race.
Is jewish long, medium or short distance?  Hurdles, most likely. :-)

	Frank Silbermann

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (06/18/85)

Why is this discussion in net.singles?  Maybe because there is no
net.religion.jewish.sports or net.jewish.sports or net.sports.jewish...

Anyway, to tie it all in with net.singles, a new phenomenon has appeared in
the San Francisco Bay Area: The Jewish Singles Hiking Club (no smiley-face,
I'm serious).  This gives athletic and semi-athletic Jews a chance to meet
AJOS (athletic Jews of the opposite sex) in an informal setting.  And if
you don't meet anyone special, at least you get a good workout.  It's probably
better than going to a "Kosher Meat Market"  (a Jewish singles party which
is like any other singles party, except that everyone is of the Jewish _______
(ethnic, race, religion, creed, or whatever).

There.  Now the net is back on track.  No thanks is needed (:->).

--

                             Alan Steinberg
                             {ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred..." -- Super Chicken