[net.social] What's Going On

diego@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) (12/26/85)

*** THIS LINE IS THE MESSAGE ***

             Happy holidays to all you (lapsed and now degenerate)
        NET.SOCIALizers.

             After resolving how to bring new (and existing) SOs to prox-
        imity with one's family and how many left-handers it takes to
        rebuild the Holy Roman Empire, the net has fallen into deathly
        quietude.  Every day, I log in in hopes of finding a new and
        interesting discussion of social issues.  Now, after months of
        silence, I can only conclude that all fruitful social topics have
        been exhausted.

             I have an idea.  Lets go back to the beginning of the net
        and rehash issues from the old days that were obviously satisfied
        only to 1970's standards.  Nah!  It will never go over big.

             Well try this one.  I read in the Hite report on male sex-
        uality that some 70% of married men surveyed (that's 3 1/2 in
        every 5) had had one or more extramarital relationships.  That
        means that most men do.  Hite's report on female sexuality --
        which was not so statistically oriented -- indicated that the
        vast majority of women looked for characteristics in men that
        closely resembled those of their fathers.  Does that mean that
        _m_o_s_t fathers were in the 30% minority?  Do any of you NET.SOCIAL
        readers know anything about this?

             Also, in response to someone's innocent (I think) request
        that the Roman Catholic Church not be blamed for the so-called
        Dark Ages, I began to do some reading.  Our librarian recommended
        Barbara Tuchman's _A _D_i_s_t_a_n_t _M_i_r_r_o_r (that's in italics or under-
        scored) as a good basic resource.  Well according to that book,
        it would seem that the Church played a very large role in creat-
        ing a centuries-long era in which little enlightenment reached
        the average person (by which I mean not only the peasants, but
        also the mercantile classes and nobility).  I think that Tuchman
        is quite objective, although she does admit to not truly having a
        complete empathy with the Christianity of those times (particu-
        larly its infusion into every aspect of the life of the age).
        Considering how greatly that religion shaped the attitudes and
        culture of the West and how a religious resurgence today is
        influencing social and political behavior, I repeat my earlier
        contention that this is a fit topic for NET.SOCIAL.

                diego@cca

arturo@humming.UUCP (Arturo Perez) (12/30/85)

I find it amazing that 70% of all married men admit to having
extramarital affairs. This is even more incredible when faced with
the fact that women look for men like their fathers. Could it be that
fatherdom stops men from fooling around? Does anybody know if men
marry women that remind them of their mothers?

jeff@dsi1.UUCP (Jeff Armstrong) (12/30/85)

> I find it amazing that 70% of all married men admit to having
> extramarital affairs. This is even more incredible when faced with
> the fact that women look for men like their fathers. Could it be that
> fatherdom stops men from fooling around? Does anybody know if men
> marry women that remind them of their mothers?

This is a FACT?  Sounds like psychological drivvle to me.  'Course, I'm
not a woman so maybe I don't know.

Jeff Armstrong
...{rglvax,seismo}!dsi1!dsi1!jeff

db@cbosgd.UUCP (J. Muir) (12/30/85)

In article <107@humming.UUCP> harvard!humming!woody!arturo writes:
>I find it amazing that 70% of all married men admit to having
>extramarital affairs. This is even more incredible when faced with
>the fact that women look for men like their fathers. Could it be that
>fatherdom stops men from fooling around? Does anybody know if men
>marry women that remind them of their mothers?

Several comments:

1. I suspect many of the 70% are bragging, though many of the other 30%
   may equally well not want to admit extramarital affairs.

2. What does the claim that women look for men like their fathers have
   to do with marital fidelity?  "Could it be that fatherdom stops men
   from fooling around?"  Huh?  Of course not.  Their fathers may have
   fooled around (known or unbeknownst to them); for that matter, their
   fathers may have beaten their mothers, been kind to children and
   small animals, or had any of a multitude of personal traits.

3. Wouldn't be surprising if, in fact, women seek men that remind them
   of their fathers.

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (12/31/85)

>In article <107@humming.UUCP> harvard!humming!woody!arturo writes:
>>I find it amazing that 70% of all married men admit to having
>>extramarital affairs.

>1. I suspect many of the 70% are bragging, though many of the other 30%
>   may equally well not want to admit extramarital affairs.

define 'extra-martial affair'.

eg. does it require penetration?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) (01/05/86)

In article <831@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>>In article <107@humming.UUCP> harvard!humming!woody!arturo writes:
>>>I find it amazing that 70% of all married men admit to having
>>>extramarital affairs.
>
>>1. I suspect many of the 70% are bragging, though many of the other 30%
>>   may equally well not want to admit extramarital affairs.
>
>define 'extra-martial affair'.
>
>eg. does it require penetration?
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

   An 'extra-martial affair' is an affair in which at least one of the
participants is involved in a war, but which is itself outside that war.
(An 'extra-marital affair' is actually very similar.)

                                            ak

"Salome, dear, NOT in the fridge."