[net.social] What's going on ?

early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) (01/06/86)

Newsgroups: net.social
Subject: re: Whats Going On

>About the 70% of  married  men  that fool around, the statistics
>sound right to me, but I wonder how many married women also fool
around?

	This  response  hooked  me a little bit, and  set  me  to
	thinking.  "Historically", it seeems, men have more often
	been the  braggers,  and  the  women  (shy,demure  little
	creatures they were)  seldom  publicly  bragged about how
	many men they went to bed with (for sex).

	By backfitting this concept, to the question at hand, how
	many women would admit to "fooling  around" outside their
	current  relationship  ?   (See,I even included  POSSLQ's
	(Persons Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters).

	I found an article  by  some  woman  in  California  that
	lead(s) seminars for married women  who  wished  to learn
	how to successfully "cheat" on their  husbands,  using  a
	technique:  The theory was (is), that  after  many months
	of meetings, hubby would get used to the  wife coming and
	going  several times a week (4-6), and the stage  is  set
	for  her  to  slip out with someone else (note:   someone
	else ...  not necessarily a man).

	The significance of  all  this to the topic, she was (is)
	the type of person that would never "admit" to cheating.

	After this lengthy bit, back to  the  question:  How many
	women would admit (social stigma that it is) to "cheating
	on their husbands (or SO's).

				".. sadder but wiser ... ", dammit

	BTW:   If a married woman engages in homosexual activity,
	does this constitute adultery ? Cheating ?

			bob early
	(Dec E-Net)	TONTO::EARLY)
	(UUCP)		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!tonto!early

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (01/15/86)

> 	(Persons Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters).

This is my own personal gripe, and I don't know if anyone will agree with me,
but here goes:

I don't like the term "opposite sex" for referring to someone of the alternate
gender.  How 'bout "complementary gender"?  Or even "complementary sex"?
(The last one even sounds fun! :-)  I have never noticed anything "opposite"
about males and females (or men and women).  Even the names are not "opposite".

Even "alternate sex" would be an improvement as far as I am concerned.
(Personally, I think the word "sex" should only refer to the act, not the
gender of a person, but I'll be happy with only one change right now.)

-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (01/16/86)

Re: POSSLQs. I prefer to refer to mine by his name. Conservative folk
assume he is my lawful whatever and more hip people don't care.

Re: Opposite sex. I always liked Damon Runyons "Guys and Dolls" :-)
"Opposite sex" is ludicrous because so many people are gay or bi.
How about "Potential Lovers" or "Targets of my steaming lust"?
No? Oh.. sorry. In Logic 1000 I learned the opposite of a statement
is a contradiction. How about contradictory gender.

Hmm....I can see people scratching their heads and saying "twisted."

Know where I can get good Chicago pizza in SF or Oakland?

How about those Mets?

*****

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (01/16/86)

>Re: POSSLQs. I prefer to refer to mine by his name. Conservative folk
>assume he is my lawful whatever and more hip people don't care.

 Whatever happened to the old, reliable 'MOTAS' (member of the appropriate sex)
 and 'SO' (significant other), both of which are generic enough terms to
 encompass every...well...most (:-)) affectional preferences?
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california