[net.social] Events of our Lifetime

fuji@ssc-bee.UUCP (Glen T Fujimori) (03/15/86)

[...]

Was just thinking about the momentous events that have occurred during
my lifetime; the things that I'll always remember. I'm interested in
other's lists; here's mine (in no particular order, except the first
few):

JFK's assassination
The Challenger disaster
The eruption of Mt. St. Helens
The attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan
The murder of John Lennon
The '84 LA Games
The Seattle Sonics World Championship season (78-79)
The first man on the moon
The end of the Iranian hostage crisis
My Dad going off to fight in Vietnam

--
glen fujimori
ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (03/19/86)

Re: Glenn's topic. Interesting. We betray our age.

My biggies (besides my birth) in no order:
My baby brother being born (irrelevant to most of the world)

MLK, Kennedy assasinations within months of each other.

My dad weeping when Columbia University was trashed by demonstrators in the 60s
(He loves the alma mater. My sibs and I went too.)

The beatles
My clearest memory..my 7th birthday when the radio announcer said, "Today,
October 9th is John Lennon's birthday". What a nice way for a kid to start
a day!

Nixon resigned on my Aunt Carol's birthday

Marching in the last and biggest peace demo in NYC (snuck out of the house)

Voting for the ERA the first time I ever voted.

Reading Germaine Greer's "The Female Eunuch" and saying "Holy Sh*t!"

The advent of the Women's movement as we know it.

Star Trek (need I say more)

Sally Ride and Guy Bluford

The Apollo and Challenger disasters.(not to mention the Russian casualties)

Becoming and auntie (My sister had both her boys about 6 mo before Princess
Diana had her boys and the first for both was William and Joan's second
was a David...the little prince had a David in his long name) Actually, the
wedding for all its hype was a nice event (for a change-what a pretty affair).

I havent hit my Big Three Oh, but that will be a wild affair. I'll be a hair
away from a second bachelors (BS in CS) and will be raiding Silly Valley for
plunder and a nice office!

Here's to memories to come. May we have many years, all of us!

*****

tab@vax135.UUCP (Tracey Baker) (03/19/86)

How 'bout the death of Ma Bell :-)

Tracey Baker             UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra}!vax135!tab
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Rm. 4G-637
Crawfords Corner Rd.
Holmdel, NJ 07733        Phone: (201) 949-1369

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own, and do
not reflect the views of my employer or of anyone else.

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Alpha Carinae) (03/20/86)

In article <1332@lll-crg.ARpA>, booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) writes:
> Re: Glenn's topic. Interesting. We betray our age.
  Perhaps more than we desire to?

  Some events that I recall...
    - My Dad going off to fight in Korea
    - My uncle returning (P.O.W.) from Korea
    - Eisenhower (the '56 campaign, especially)
    - The opening of Disneyland
    - Launch of Sputnik I
    - Seeing Sputnik I
    - The day the music died
    - Kruschev's "We will bury you" speech
    - Fallout Shelter craze
    - Cuban Missile Crisis
    - Kennedy assassination
    - Mario Savio at Berkeley (Free Speech Movement)
    - Simon & Garfunkel @ Freeborn Hall, UC Davis

    For some strange reason, everything after 1965 is a blur...

> Here's to memories to come. May we have many years, all of us!

    I'll second that...
--
Frank Dibbell     (408-746-6493)     ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!canopus
Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale CA     [This is the obligatory disclaimer..]

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) (03/21/86)

I only remember the lobotomy.