[net.social] Noisy neighbor : calling 911

melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) (07/04/86)

In article <2686@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In an article, Oleg "Kill the bastards" Kiselev writes:
>> And try 911 again and again.
>
>If 911 in Boston is anything like 911 in LA, then the above is a bad
>idea.  911 is for *emergency* use.  Noisy people upstairs are not
>an emergency.
>
>--
>Tim Smith                       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim

Actually, I originally called my local station. They referred me to 911.
I don't know about LA, but in Boston, 911 is not the best way to handle
an emergency. Horror stories about non-response are rampant here.
A tip if you do need to call them: call them twice in a row. I've
had to call them on two different occasions, and on both occasions
when I had to call back (after no one showed up) they didn't have any
record of my first call!

By the way, thanks everyone who sent me suggestions on how to deal
with my neighbors.
--
Melissa Silvestre (melissa@athena.mit.edu)