[net.social] A Guy's Guide to a Girl's Hair

price@noscvax.UUCP (James N. Price) (07/21/86)

Recently Mark Baker posted a summary of a Mademoiselle article of the
subject title.  I am definitely a "hair man" as the article indelicately
calls it.  My particular obsession is length, but shiny is right in
there, too.  I'd like to hear from both guys and gals about their
feelings associated with hair, its length, its styling, what it really
says, etc.  I'm especially interested in discussions about VERY long
hair, e.g. knee length.  I can't tell you why, it just fascinates me.
I noticed some postings a couple of months ago from "Lady Godiva" in
Oregon--maybe we have a resident "long hair" on the net.

I'm potentially interested in doing a book or series of articles on
this subject.  I have a fairly detailed outline which thus far has
been turned down by several publishers (free-lancing is NOT a way
to may a living for very many people!).  I also am aware of a long hair
contest in England each year and think that with America's vanity
being what it is that such a contest could be a really big deal in
this country.  I can see it now--the Crystal Gayle-Breck Invitational
Long Hair Measure-Off, coming to your city soon!!

Or am I just totally warped?

Cheers--Jim Price, San Diego
PRICE@NOSC.ARPA

maggie@apollo.uucp (Margaret Daniel) (07/23/86)

I also found Mark Baker's posting of the Mademoiselle article
about women's hair to be amusing, fun, and almost credible. I'm
not sure what kind of discussion Mark had hoped to start, but it
looks like he found a taker, as Jim Price writes:

> My particular obsession is length, but shiny is right in
> there, too.  I'd like to hear from both guys and gals about their
> feelings associated with hair, its length, its styling, what it really
> says, etc.  I'm especially interested in discussions about VERY long
> hair, e.g. knee length.  I can't tell you why, it just fascinates me.

> Or am I just totally warped?

________

No, Jim, you're not warped at all -- just typical of the American male.
I have met very few men in this country that are not "fascinated" by
long hair on women. Although you indicate that other things do count
(e.g.,shininess) -- what is most telling is that you admit that your
love of hair length is an obsession.

I used to be a long-haired lady, with lovely golden blonde tresses
falling well below my waist. Unlike many blondes whose hair is very
thin and fine, mine was (and still is) extremely thick and strong. I
wore my hair this long for about 16 years. Now, I wear my hair much
shorter -- just to the ends of my earlobes. My hair is still very
shiny, healthy, and strong. I've never processed or colored it, and
I don't even use a blow dryer or curling iron (i.e., I don't fit the
article's description of the "moussed blonde"). I like it this way ...
but I can hear the horrified cries now ... WHY DID YOU CUT IT???

So I'll explain that. There were really two reasons. First of all,
I wanted to change my image to one that was more mature, sophisticated.
In other words, I got tired of looking forever 18 (I'm 33). The second
reason is one that I'm sure you'll be interested in, Jim. Everywhere
I went, everyone (translated: mostly men) I met remarked about how
stunning my hair was. Yes, I was called Lady Godiva (no, I'm not the
one you heard about on the net); they were "fascinated" with my HAIR.
The point I'm trying to make is that they were more interested in my hair
than in ME as a whole! Because of their "obsession", they missed a very
important chance to appreciate my other qualities.

Well, I know you might find this rather drastic, but I decided that the
only way to prevent this situation from getting out of hand was to get
a haircut. My boyfriend at the time told me that he would "just die" if
I cut my hair. I did it anyway, offering to give him the 24" ponytail
that was left. The irony of this whole thing is that, I get just as many
compliments on my looks (including my hair) as I did then -- and my hair
is much easier to take care of. In addition, since I snipped my locks,
people have begun to notice my blue eyes -- which according to me has
always been my best physical feature anyway.

When I recently asked my husband (who knew me when my hair was long)
whether he liked my hair better short or long, he replied "I've always
liked it any way you've worn it. You'd look pretty even if you had no
hair at all." ... Now that's MY kind of man!

-- Maggie Daniel
   Apollo Computer
   Chelmsford, Mass.

eme@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) (07/24/86)

>Recently Mark Baker posted a summary of a Mademoiselle article of the
>subject title.  I am definitely a "hair man" as the article indelicately
>calls it.  My particular obsession is length, but shiny is right in
>there, too.  I'd like to hear from both guys and gals about their
>feelings associated with hair, its length, its styling, what it really
>says, etc.  I'm especially interested in discussions about VERY long
>hair, e.g. knee length.  I can't tell you why, it just fascinates me.
>I noticed some postings a couple of months ago from "Lady Godiva" in
>Oregon--maybe we have a resident "long hair" on the net.
>

>Cheers--Jim Price, San Diego
>PRICE@NOSC.ARPA

I have always had what most people class as long hair.  (Since I have
had anything to say about it, the shortest it has been is just below my
sholders.  Which is what I tend to call short hair... its all a matter
of what you are use to ;^)  My hair is fairly traditionally chineese
by which I mean straight, black and virtually impossible to perm in this
country. ( I got a nice perm once in Hong Kong. ) I have always wanted
to have curly hair.  After I reached 20 I stopped trying for curly and
settled for long.  Long eventually meant waist length.  I finally cut
it when I started sitting on it and it became a royal pain.  So much for
my history.  Over the years as I agonized about to cut or not to cut, I
found that older woman (mother, aunts, grandmother, etc) all seem to want
me to cut my hair.  Woman my age had no comment or didn't want to express
one.  And lots (maybe even most) of the men liked long hair.  Maybe a
more accurate description is that of those men who had any preference at
all about my hair prefered it long.  Several of them said the longer the
better.  The one thing I particularly like about long hair is when I get
board of it I can change it easily.  With short hair you have to let it
grow for 6 months or a year to alter it.  The big disadvantages to long
hair are: it takes forever to dry, is a pain to comb out when it gets
tangled, and while my SOs have enjoyed it while awake the concensus (of
all 3 of them) is that it gets in the way while trying to sleep together.
So why do I keep it?  I don't know.  I've often thought about cutting
it, and to regularly (to what I consider short - sholder length).  I guess
I'm just more comfortable with the way I look with long hair.

-Beth Eades