[net.social] Post-marital sex

gds@sri-spam.UUCP (08/11/86)

Warning:  contains highly debatable material.  Will cause your fingers
to erupt flames in response :-)

We have beaten the subject of pre-marital sex into the ground, now let's
let the other side of the "I do's" have their say.  A few questions:

If you had sex before you were married, are you,
   (a) glad you did, or
   (b) wish you hadn't
       and why?

Has your general opinion of sex changed since marriage?  Do you find it
more, less or the same interesting?  Is it what you expected it to be
(if you hadn't had sex before marriage)?

Do you feel the purpose of sex is
   (a) to enjoy it
   (b) to have children
   (c) a and b
   (d) something else (please state what you feel it is)

If your religion either forbids, or disapproves, of you having sex
before marriage, and you did, do you feel the experience was worthwhile
or detrimental to your married sex life?

Ditto, except if you didn't have sex before marriage.

Postings are welcome.

--gregbo

[Poster's note:  I have not set followups to anywhere yet, since I want
 to see who winds up discussing the topic.  I'll let subsequent posters
 (if any) decide where they want followups to go.]

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (08/15/86)

In article <6218@sri-spam.ARPA> gds@sri-spam.UUCP writes:
>Warning:  contains highly debatable material.  Will cause your fingers
>to erupt flames in response :-)

Haven't seen any response on this.  Fools jump in where wise ones fear
to tread... :-)

>We have beaten the subject of pre-marital sex into the ground, now let's
>let the other side of the "I do's" have their say.  A few questions:
>If you had sex before you were married, are you,
>   (a) glad you did, or
>   (b) wish you hadn't
>       and why?

Very glad I did.  In fact, should have done a lot more.  It has been my
experience that those people who have been fairly sexually active before
marriage have the most realistic expectations about what to expect from
a marital relationship, and are also in a position to evaluate (what
a technical-sounding word - how about "feel out" instead) their compatibility
with a potential spouse.  I don't know *anyone* who didn't have sexual
difficulties/adjustments when building a long-term relationship.  And it's
not talked about much, either - which makes things even more difficult
("gee - if we are having such problems, and nobody else seems to, maybe we
really aren't right for each other"). The more (loving!) experience, the better.

>Has your general opinion of sex changed since marriage?  Do you find it
>more, less or the same interesting?  Is it what you expected it to be
>(if you hadn't had sex before marriage)?

Yes - it is even more essential for close, open sharing than I thought before.
More.

>Do you feel the purpose of sex is
>   (a) to enjoy it
>   (b) to have children
>   (c) a and b
>   (d) something else (please state what you feel it is)

(a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d)
(a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d)
(a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d) (a) (d)
(b)

where:  (d) = form ever-deeper bonds and communication channels

>--gregbo

Thanks for an interesting survey, Greg!

					Life, Love, and Lust!

					Chuck Mosher