[net.sport.football] Super Bowl and Washington Redskins

carey@seismo.UUCP (Marie Carey) (01/30/84)

Now that I have successfully swallowed all of my "tee-hee's" and
"ha-ha's" after the Washington Redskin's *disgusting* loss to the
Raider's, I just want to reply to some comments that I have been
reading in this newsgroup.

To Tim Stoehr, I just want to say that my original article (with
the tee-hee's and ha-ha's) was meant to be humorous, most certainly
not serious. I mean, must we *all* use the tongue-in-cheek to
indicate humor (or sarcasm, whatever the case may be) or can we not
display any uniqueness? I have always thought that when I wrote a
letter to someone (which in my opinion is similar to posting an
article here) that the "ha-ha" was meant to mean "okay folks, time
to laugh now". I also don't think that my "49'ers stepping stone
theory" was wrong either. I really believed that the Skins were
going to be at the Super Bowl again this year. It is just too bad
that they were, in my opinion, too over-confident and therefore did
not bother to prepare for this game at all. I am also not a sore loser.
I still love the Washington Redskins and I think that they will do well
again next year.

Now for my next reply, which is in response to a direct quote from
!elsie!mark, who writes:

> Will they (the Skins) be back next year? I hope so, but they are
> Old, and DC is not a good town for football support -- too much
> else to do here.

I hope the Redskins will be back again next year too. But "Old"?!?!
Come on! You are trying to make them sound like the "Over the Hill
Gang" again! (Which for those of you who don't already know, that
was the name that was associated with the Skins some years ago when
Sonny Jurgenson was quarterback) And I will have you know buddy that
Washington, D.C. is VERY supportive of the Washington Redskins! On
Wednesday, January 25, Washington, D.C. held a parade for the defeated,
returned home Redskins. At least 100,000 people showed up. The rumor is
that the Raiders only had 11,000 people show up for their Super Bowl
parade. Washington had 89,000 more people show up for our parade and
we lost!!! The Redskins also had more fans at the Super Bowl in Tampa
Bay than did the Raiders. Now try to tell me again that D.C. is not
supportive.

Marie Carey
Center for Seismic Studies
Rosslyn, Virgina (right across the Potomac from Washington, D.C.)