[net.sport.football] Dave Winfield and Football?

smq@hlhop.UUCP (Steven M. Queriolo) (07/02/84)

A quick trivia question to keep this newsgroup active:

One NFL club drafted Dave Winfield (sp?) out of college; eventhough he did
not play a single down of football in college.  What team was it?

I know the answer to that, but here are two that I don't know:
  (1) Skeets Nehimia (definately sp?) thw track and 'Superstars' star, now
      plays for the SF 49ers. Did he ever play football before (college or HS)?
  (2) Also Bob Hayes (formerly of Dallas) held the world's record in the 100
      yard dash before joining Dallas.  Did he play football in college?

--

-  Steven M. Queriolo  -  AT&T Bell Laboratories  -  ...ihnp4!hlhop!smq  -

jeff@dual.UUCP (Jeff Houston) (07/12/84)

Some info on Bob Hayes and Renaldo Neheimia (sp?) -

Skeets did not play football while in school, ran the hurdles only,
achieved the current world record for the 110 Meter High Hurdles.

Hayes, I think, did play some college ball but also ran track.  Hayes
did take two gold medals home (100M and 400M Relay) in the 64 Olympics.

Don't recall who drafted Dave Winfield in Football, he also was drafted
by an NBA team too.

To quote the immortal Bill the Cat, "GACK".

Jeff Houston
Dual Systems Corp., Berkeley, CA
{ucbvax,ihnp4,cbosgd,zehntel,fortune,decwrl}!dual!jeff

labelle@hplabsc.UUCP (WB6YZZ La Belle) (07/13/84)

          I thought Skeets Nehemiah played high school ball.

               GO NINERS

                 GEORGE

smq@hlhop.UUCP (07/16/84)

Date: Mon, 16-Jul-84 09:49:21 PDT

al.UUCP> <2010@hplabsc.UUCP>

Dave Winfield was drafted by the Minnesota Vickings.
--

-  Steven M. Queriolo  -  AT&T Bell Laboratories  -  ...ihnp4!hlhop!smq  -