[net.sport.football] CFL updates?

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/10/84)

<==== yum yum ====>

It's lonely for a misplaced Canadiand down here in LA when you can't get
any news from the Canadian Football League. At the risk of incurring
blistering flames I am requesting that someone in the Great White North
post league updates. Pretty please? At worst mail me something, eh? I
LOVE getting mail!

					Rick Gillespie
					...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!rick
					rick@ucla-cs

     "Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before."

greg@sdcsvax.UUCP (09/11/84)

In article <1122@ucla-cs.ARPA> rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (Rick Gillespie) writes:
>It's lonely for a misplaced Canadiand down here in LA when you can't get
>any news from the Canadian Football League.

Rick, if you have cable, there's a cable channel that has broadcasts,
usually delayed.  I watch it whenever I can.  But that's not enough to
keep track of the standings, so I will second the request to have the
results posted regularly.  And no flames about misplaced Canadians --
I'm an American and I love the Canadian game.  What do you think about
adopting the single into NFL play?  It would make the game a lot more
interesting.

Who do you favor for the Grey Cup?
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Torrey Pines       Greg@sdcsvax.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP (09/14/84)

Re: Adopting the Canadian "single" into U.S. play:

I think it makes a lot more sense then the new NCAA rule that penalizes a
team for kicking the ball through the end zone, a rule even more bogus than
their other new gem encouraging assault by cornerbacks.  It makes no sense
to penalize a kicker for doing his job too well.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

carlo@oscvax.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (09/19/84)

I don't have the standings in front of me but I can improvise something:

	Toronto:  In first in the East by a mile-and-a-half.  However,
			they have lost two consecutive close ones to
			Edmonton and Saskatchewan(!!).  The Argos probably
			will take the East but it remains to be seen what
			will happen with this current slump.  The
			quarterbacking situation is confused, with Barnes
			being the most consistent but it seems as though
			being the starting QB is a jinx.  I think that
			Holloway is currently injured.  Ilisic is also
			missing easy field goals.
	Ottawa:  Not so hot but probably the team with the best chance to
			upset the Argos.  Plagued by injuries.  Watts is a
			minor disappointment this year.  Walker has been
			injured a lot.
	Montreal:  The team that could lose big or upset any team any week.
			I think that they massacred B.C. last week.  A young
			team with potential but not consistent at all.
	Hamilton:  In shambles.  I think that they had a big win last week
			or the week before but they're not really a threat
			to anyone (except the Argos, naturally :-)).

	Winnipeg:  Probably the team to beat this year.  I'm not sure if
			they're ahead of B.C. or not (I suspect so, though),
			but they come up big in the big games.  I think that
			they lost an easy game at some time in the recent
			past, though.  Just generally a sound team.
	B.C.:  Also a very strong team but I have reservations about this
			one.  Controversy over receivers has plagued them.
	Edmonton:  A team not to be taken lightly but, realistically, not a
			real threat to Wpg. or B.C..   Dunigan has been a
			very pleasant surprise as Moon's replacement.  The
			housecleaning continues...
	Calgary:  I don't know much about Calgary except that they are
			generally in the same situation as Edmonton (except
			to a lesser degree).  Apparently, they've got a hot
			new Canadian QB.
	Saskatchewan:  Yet again, they're the dregs of the West, although
			they've proven themselves capable of an upset.  That's
			about all they're capable of, though.

I'll be posting standings and more comments in the future.

				- Carlo

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (09/20/84)

I follow the CFL and Carlo's posting looks pretty accurate to me.  I have
a couple of things to add:
Toronto's biggest problem in their last couple of games has been the same
thing that plagued them throughout the 70's:  the inability to score when
they get close.  Part of that is the fact that Hank Ilesic is a terrible
field goal kicker.  Before coming to Toronto, he hadn't attempted a field
goal since high school, and I don't know why, if every other team in the
league can have two kickers, why can't the champs afford it.  I said it
then and I'll say it now, they should have kept Ilesic's predecessor, Dean
Dorsey, who is a great field goal kicker but a terrible punter.  The two
of them probably would have given them the best kicking duo in the league.
(Dorsey is now in Ottawa and has missed only about 3 FG's all year.  They
don't make him punt.)  Last year, they showed an uncanny ability to do
only what they had to to win and they always came back when they needed to.
Now, other teams are doing that to them, but it's probably just because
they have 1st place locked up so they have no motivation.  If they don't
panic, they'll come around and they'll have a good chance to repeat as champs.

Ottawa's most important player, Skip Walker, broke his leg and has missed
most of the season.  He was about to come back when he reinjured it, so
there's no telling how long he'll be now.  Without him, the Riders can book
their vacations for early November.

Winnipeg is ahead of B.C., and there last two wins have been big:  65-25
over Ottawa (it was 58-10 at one point) and 48-19 over Hamilton.  Clements
and Reaves are really hot this year and the bombers could go all the way.
Continued pressure for first from B.C. should keep the Bombers sharp.

As far as the single point is concerned, a lot of people think it's stupid,
especially on missed field goals, but I think it makes more sense that the
touchback, which seems to penalize a kicker (punters especially) for doing
what he's supposed to do:  kick the ball far.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff