[net.sport.football] What Does the NYT Say About BYU Rank

kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP (12/07/84)

/* Written  3:48 am  Dec  6, 1984 by citrin@ucbvax in uiucdcs:net.sport.foot */
Someone wanted to know the New York Times' computer rankings of college
teams.  Here it is from today's (12/5) paper, based on games through 12/1:

19) Rutgers (!)

/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.sport.foot */

Why the exclamation point?  Rutgers is my nominee for the annual we-got-
screwed-out-of-a-bowl-appearance-award (pass the trophy on, East Carolina).
While an Eastern counterpart with a comparable schedule and slightly inferior
record, Army, goes to the Cherry Bowl, Rutgers, who beat them head-to-head
this year, will spend the holidays in New Jersey.  Bring back the Garden
State Bowl? :-)

This is no slight of the Cadets, but if they're going, there should be a place
for Rutgers.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

fishkin@ucbvax.ARPA (Ken Fishkin) (12/12/84)

In article <13000015@uiucdcs.UUCP> kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP writes:
>This is no slight of the Cadets, but if they're going, there should be a place
>for Rutgers.

Another case of Notre-Dame-itis.
Army has far more of a national following than Rutgers,
although I don't know how many people tune in just to root *against* Army!
--
		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley

kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP (12/14/84)

/* Written  4:33 pm  Dec 12, 1984 by fishkin@ucbvax in uiucdcs:net.sport.foot */
In article <13000015@uiucdcs.UUCP> kaufman@uiucdcs.UUCP writes:
>This is no slight of the Cadets, but if they're going, there should be a place
>for Rutgers.

Another case of Notre-Dame-itis.
Army has far more of a national following than Rutgers,
although I don't know how many people tune in just to root *against* Army!
--
		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley
/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.sport.foot */

Not denied - just lamented.