[net.sport.football] NFL long field goal

rainbow@ihuxe.UUCP (01/04/85)

Newsgroups: net.sport.football   Subject: Re: NFL's longest field goal

>The scenario about New Orleans 63 yard field goal is correct.
>I believe it happened in 1971, and was kicked by Tom Dempsey.
>
>I wasn't sure about it, but my memory was confirmed by one of
>the "Fantastic Finishes" commericals they ran during one of the
>playoff games.

Apparently you went to the kitchen for a beer during the commercial.
Dempsey was on Detroits team and there was no free kick involved.

Robert

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (01/05/85)

The record field goal by Tom Dempsey was a 63 yarder.  The kick was made
in November of 1970.   And he did play for the Saints that year.

Trivia (easy):

Who was the holder for Dempsey's record kick?