[net.sport.football] #1-here I come, Signed, JoePa

vacca@burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) (09/17/85)

My prediction for the #1 team at year-end:  Penn State

Take a closer look:

  - Two big, smart quarterbacks (equally capable)
         John Shafer (a scrambler) 6'3"
         Matt Knizer (excellent arm) 6'3"
  - Two big, smart running backs (equally capable)
         D. J. Dozier 6'0", 215 lbs.
         another running back who is 6'1", 230 lbs. (a BRUISER)
  - A terrific offensive line
  - A whole flock of good receivers
  - Top-notch linebackers
  - Great coach (uh, I think his name is, yeah, that's right, Paterno)

FIRST GAME:  whooped a top-ranked (preseason #1) Maryland team AT
Maryland!

SECOND GAME:  Took care of Temple, a team that almost beat Boston College.

REMAINING GAMES: Alabama, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh (will win 2 out of 3)
                 The rest are easy (will win 7 out of 7)

That leaves them with an 11-1 record at season end.  With a little bit
of luck, they will be 12-0 at season end.  Plus, they don't play a schedule
like BYU plays (e.g., Mother Mary of the Sisters Bertrille College of
Marymount).  Actually, this is one of PSU's easier schedules in a number
of years.  Paterno went after the tough schedules because he believes it
makes his team better AND, most importantly, it gives them a better chance
to become #1.

- David "Yes, you guessed it, a Penn Stater" Vacca
  Burroughs "Yes, you guessed it, hires Penn Staters" Corporation

PS: I would love to see Penn State, or for that matter, any
    team from the following, play BYU:
               1) Nebraska
               2) Auburn
               3) Iowa
               4) Maryland
               5) UCLA "please, can I see it one more time?????"
               6) Ohio State

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (09/18/85)

In article <2120@burdvax.UUCP> vacca@burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) writes:

>My prediction for the #1 team at year-end:  Penn State
>
>SECOND GAME:  Took care of Temple, a team that almost beat Boston College.

And we all know what a powerhouse BC is this year! :-) At 27-25, your
guys really *mauled* Temple! :-)
>REMAINING GAMES: Alabama, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh (will win 2 out of 3)
>                 The rest are easy (will win 7 out of 7)

I can't argue with your logic here.

>That leaves them with an 11-1 record at season end.  With a little bit
>of luck, they will be 12-0 at season end.  Plus, they don't play a schedule
>like BYU plays (e.g., Mother Mary of the Sisters Bertrille College of
>Marymount).  Actually, this is one of PSU's easier schedules

Granted, up to this point.  **Unfortunately** for PSU (and your prediction),
you forgot to mention that they'll have to play 11-0  or 10-1 Oklahoma in
the Orange Bowl for the national championship and then it's bye-bye PSU.
Incidentally, if Oklahoma actually does go 11-1 including bowl game then
I don't believe they can be denied the mythical title with the schedule
they're playing (Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas, and Miami, among
others).

>PS: I would love to see Penn State, or for that matter, any
>    team from the following, play BYU:
>               1) Nebraska
>               2) Auburn
>               3) Iowa
>               4) Maryland
>               5) UCLA "please, can I see it one more time?????"
>               6) Ohio State

And I'd love to see Penn State play any of these teams, too! Tough schedules,
indeed! :-)
                                 Dennis Doubleday
                                 Univ. of Maryland
                                 (but a displaced Boomer Sooner)

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/21/85)

In article <2120@burdvax.UUCP> vacca@burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) writes:

>PS: I would love to see Penn State, or for that matter, any
>    team from the following, play BYU:
>              		.
>			.
>			.
>               5) UCLA "please, can I see it one more time?????"

	Even though I am a bruin, I have to admit UCLA was pretty
lucky to beat BYU, which dominated the game but simply gave it away.
With their offense, BYU is not as bad as many people think.
This is just a new trend in college football: the passing offense
is a big equalizer among college powerhouses. In the past
few years, many schools achieve national prominence by installing
a passing attack.  Look at Illinois, Maryland, Miami, Florida,
West Virginia, Boston College, Iowa, ....
A good passing team can almost always beat a good running team.
Look how Georgia, Nebraska and Oklahoma fared in the so-called
"game for the national championship" in the past 3 years.
See how Auburn did against Miami and Florida last year.
BYU certainly has a fair chance to beat Oklahoma, Nebraska
and likes.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (09/26/85)

In article <6896@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Edward Lor) writes:
>A good passing team can almost always beat a good running team.
>Look how Georgia, Nebraska and Oklahoma fared in the so-called
>"game for the national championship" in the past 3 years.
>See how Auburn did against Miami and Florida last year.
>BYU certainly has a fair chance to beat Oklahoma, Nebraska
>and likes.
>--
>					Eddy Lor

but does BYU ever play oklahoma or nebraska?  how long would BYU last
if they moved into the big eight (a "running" conference)??  i think
after playing OU, nebraska, and OK-state, maybe mizzou on a good day,
BYU would have nothing left.  they would be pummeled.  it's awfully easy
for a team like BYU to play a whimpy schedule for a year, then come in
for one big game and toss up  40-50 passes and win.

yes, your right, the big running teams HAVE been getting beat lately
in big games, like nat'l championship games.  but one game doesn't
make a season.  do you really think miami had a better team than
nebraska two years ago??  no way....

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdv!rjv

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (09/26/85)

> In article <6896@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Edward Lor) writes:
> >A good passing team can almost always beat a good running team.
> >Look how Georgia, Nebraska and Oklahoma fared in the so-called
> >"game for the national championship" in the past 3 years.
> >See how Auburn did against Miami and Florida last year.
> >BYU certainly has a fair chance to beat Oklahoma, Nebraska
> >and likes.
>
> but does BYU ever play oklahoma or nebraska?  how long would BYU last
> if they moved into the big eight (a "running" conference)??  i think
> after playing OU, nebraska, and OK-state, maybe mizzou on a good day,
> BYU would have nothing left.  they would be pummeled.  it's awfully easy
> for a team like BYU to play a whimpy schedule for a year, then come in
> for one big game and toss up  40-50 passes and win.
>
> yes, your right, the big running teams HAVE been getting beat lately
> in big games, like nat'l championship games.  but one game doesn't
> make a season.  do you really think miami had a better team than
> nebraska two years ago??  no way....

Looking at the college game, the evidence seems to be pretty strong
that a good passing team will do pretty well.  The reason, I feel,
is that the weakest part of most college teams is their pass
defense, sometimes closely followed by their pass offense. BC didn't
win with defense last year-- they won because they had a quarterback
who could throw and receivers who could catch.  Given the typical
level of play in college, I'd have to say a team with a good pass
attack will be competitive no matter who they play.  You would have
to have a relatively better running attack to be able to say the
same thing about a team that depends primarily on the run.

As far as Miami is concerned, yeah, I would have to say they were
better than Nebraska.  They had just enough running to complement
their passing, and besides, they beat Nebraska.  Running isn't
everything, and it counts just as much when you score a TD by a pass
rather than a run.  It's tough to ignore, but when Big 8 teams play
teams outside their conference that have a more balanced attack and
a solid defense, they often have trouble, even when it looks like
they should win easily on paper.

Look at Michigan.  They have gotten off to a real good start this
year, and look real tough.  They don't throw a lot, but they appear
to be throwing more often this year, and what's even more important,
more effectively.

BYU, since it does have an excellent passing game, would certainly
be competitive in the Big 8, though I don't think they have the
defense needed to be top of the heap- when you play teams like Nebraska
or Oklahoma that have strong ball control offenses, you need a good
defense and a lot of bodies for substitution, so your defense won't
get worn down over the course of the game.

To my mind, if you can throw the ball well, you can win in college
ball.  That's not nearly the same as in the pros, where the pass
defenses are much more sophisticated, and even teams with great
passing attacks, like the Chargers, often struggle.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom