[net.sport.football] bring back

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (09/21/85)

is it just me, or is the combo of broadway joe, oj simpson and
frank gifford the worst in football broadcasting??
and to top it off, i LIKE gifford!  so what can you conclude?

broadway and OJ are *terrible* *terrible* *terrible*.

is anyone else tired of hearing OJ say "dat be de bess way to run de ball"??
or does the way namath pronounce his words give you a nose bleed???

any comments??

	boomer sooner,

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

ps: i realize a lot of you are waiting for my NEXT prediction
after my overwhelming  1.000 batting average in picking
nebraska-florida st., washington-BYU (yes, i picked them both
wrong in a big way), just so you can bet all you $$$$$$ against
what i said.   hang in there, i'll come up with a few more
doozies later on.  (ron's sneak pre-view "i got inside info" bet
for next week:  OU by 13 touchdowns)

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (09/21/85)

In article <318@ihdev.UUCP> rjv@ihdev.UUCP (R. J. Vaughn) writes:

>is it just me, or is the combo of broadway joe, oj simpson and
>frank gifford the worst in football broadcasting??
>and to top it off, i LIKE gifford!  so what can you conclude?

	Gifford is the best of the three, even thought that's still not
	saying much . . .  Did you say (in the subject) to bring back
	Cosell?  Geez, you are getting desperate, eh?

>broadway and OJ are *terrible* *terrible* *terrible*.

	Yup.  Yup.  Yup.

>is anyone else tired of hearing OJ say "dat be de bess way to run de ball"??
>or does the way namath pronounce his words give you a nose bleed???

	Yup.

>any comments??

	Last season I got to the point where I'd scan the channels on
	Sunday looking for John Madden and just watch that game (no
	matter who was playing).  There just ain't none better.

>	boomer sooner,

	Ron, did you notice yet another Okie hangs out in this newsgroup.
	That was our Glen who posted the Broncos (boo!!) schedule...  Guess
	we Sooners got the majority now, eh?  Go Sooners!

>ps: i realize a lot of you are waiting for my NEXT prediction
>after my overwhelming  1.000 batting average in picking
>nebraska-florida st., washington-BYU (yes, i picked them both

	Ron, isn't your batting average 0 (0 for 2)?  Oh well.
	Do me a favor and don't make any predictions about the Sooners,
	alright? :-)

		Go Cardinals! (both baseball and football)

		Craig
--
	Craig Miller
	{*}!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/23/85)

> In article <318@ihdev.UUCP> rjv@ihdev.UUCP (R. J. Vaughn) writes:
> >
> >is it just me, or is the combo of broadway joe, oj simpson and
> >frank gifford the worst in football broadcasting??
> >and to top it off, i LIKE gifford!  so what can you conclude?
>
> 	Gifford is the best of the three, even thought that's still not
> 	saying much . . .  Did you say (in the subject) to bring back
> 	Cosell?  Geez, you are getting desperate, eh?
>
> >broadway and OJ are *terrible* *terrible* *terrible*.
>
> 	Yup.  Yup.  Yup.
>
> >is anyone else tired of hearing OJ say "dat be de bess way to run de ball"??
> >or does the way namath pronounce his words give you a nose bleed???
>
> 	Yup.
>
> >any comments??

Just do what everybody else is doing. Turn the sound down on TV and the
sound up on CBS radio. I haven't listened to a Monday night game yet
(been busy working) so I don't know if Hank Stram is still on the radio,
but he is informative, light on stats and definetly(sp) NOT BORING.

I grew up listening to Univ of Illinois on radio and the games always
seem more exciting on radio.

					 Bob Nebert
					 sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

ingrid@helens.UUCP (the ing) (09/24/85)

> is it just me, or is the combo of broadway joe, oj simpson and
> frank gifford the worst in football broadcasting??
> or does the way namath pronounce his words give you a nose bleed???

any comments??

Oh pulllleeeeeze get Namath OFFF network TV!!!!
His one brain cell must be shorted out, which has caused his speech
patterns to (1) rise 1/2 an octave and (2)closely resemble those of
Truman Capote with a head cold. How this is spozed to attract more
women to Monday Night Football, I can't imagine. As a diehard foot-
ball fanatic and tomboy, I am disgusted at this latest network ploy.

Argghh...I say turn off the TV sound and listen to the local radio
station's audio, instead...

ingrid (the ingfarmer in redmond, wahshintunn)

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (09/30/85)

> > In article <318@ihdev.UUCP> rjv@ihdev.UUCP (R. J. Vaughn) writes:
> > >
> > >is it just me, or is the combo of broadway joe, oj simpson and
> > >frank gifford the worst in football broadcasting??
> > >and to top it off, i LIKE gifford!  so what can you conclude?
> > >any comments??
>
> Just do what everybody else is doing. Turn the sound down on TV and the
> sound up on CBS radio. I haven't listened to a Monday night game yet
> (been busy working) so I don't know if Hank Stram is still on the radio,
> but he is informative, light on stats and definetly(sp) NOT BORING.
>
> I grew up listening to Univ of Illinois on radio and the games always
> seem more exciting on radio.
>
> 					 Bob Nebert

It seems that CBS Radio has dropped the Mon. Football broadcasts.  Hank Stram
and Jack Buck can be found on CBS TV, doing one of the many regional NFL games.
I think NBC has picked up the radio broadcasts, because here in the Chicago
area, the game can be found on WMAQ (670 AM), Don Criquy (SP?) and Bob Trumpy
doing the game.  They also do regionally televised games for NBC.

Mike Royko, a popular newspaper columnist for the Chicago Tribune, addressed
the issue of Joe Namath being difficult to understand.  He said that Namath
is speaking "yuppie-billy", kind of a down-home, good ol' boy dialect that
some yuppies employ so they don't sound pretentious.  Royko spoke with a
person from Namath's hometown, and this person said that none of them sound
like Namath.  It was, as usual, an entertaining Royko column.

Mike Clifford