[net.sport.football] USA Today Top 25 College

45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) (10/08/85)

Here's the USA TODAY top 25 for Oct 7, 1985.

 1) Iowa   (4-0)
 2) Oklahoma  (2-0)
 3) Michigan  (4-0)
 4) Florida State (4-0)
 5) Oklahoma State (4-0)
 6) Penn State  (4-0)
 7) Florida  (3-0-1)
 8) Arkansas  (4-0)
 9) BYU  (4-1)
10) Alabama (4-0)
11) Tennessee  (2-0-1)
12) Nebraska  (3-1)
13) Auburn  (3-1)
14) Air Force (5-0)
15) Ohio State (3-1)
16) SMU  (2-1)
17) Georgia  (3-1)
18) LSU  (2-1)
19) UCLA  (3-1-1)
20) Baylor  (4-1)
21) Miami, FL  (3-1)
22) Texas  (3-0)
23) Army  (4-0)
24) Maryland  (3-2)
25) Arizona  (4-1)

Question: Why is Texas ranked so low if they are undefeated?  They
          have enjoyed a good reputation as a powerhouse in recent years.

Best games coming up this weekend:

#2 Oklahoma vs. #22 Texas  at Dallas
#4 Florida State at #13 Auburn
#5 Oklahoma State vs. #12 Nebraska
#6 Penn State vs. #10 Alabama
#7 Florida vs. #11 Tennessee
#16 SMU vs. #20 Baylor
#9 BYU vs. #372 San Diego St.

(I bet I get some flames on that one!)

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (10/09/85)

In article <1016@mtuxo.UUCP> 45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) writes:
>Here's the USA TODAY top 25 for Oct 7, 1985.
>
>22) Texas  (3-0)
>
>Question: Why is Texas ranked so low if they are undefeated?  They
>          have enjoyed a good reputation as a powerhouse in recent years.

The main problem Texas has this year is that their defense was decimated
by graduation.  The secondary is particularly suspect, having lost
All American Jerry Gray at safety and a couple of other standout defensive
backs.  The preseason extimates put Texas finishing fourth or fifth
behind SMU, Arkansas, TCU, Texas A&M, etc. (not necessarily in that
order)  Of course, the cash problems TCU is having have made preseason
forecasts somewhat moot.

In spite of the secondary being the real question mark, Texas has
performed adequately against three pass-oriented teams, Missouri,
Stanford, and Rice.  "Adequately" being relative to 3-0.  Texas
could have very easily lost to Stanford.

The next three weeks will be the decisive ones for Texas;  they face
Oklahoma, Arkansas and SMU all on the road.  (OU is in Dallas, however,
not Norman)  The world should have a much better idea about where
Texas really belongs in the rankings after those games.  My own
feeling is that you probably won't be seeing Texas in the top 20
again this season.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

"Frankly, there's something about reality that gives me the shivering willies!"
						-- Hank the Hallucination --

-- barnett@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett