[net.sport.football] Illinois' comeback

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/07/85)

Well, nobody thought it possible (I know I didn't, and I always look for
upsets), but Illinois beat Ohio State.  Some may ask why; I may have an
answer.

Illinois is really a better team than their 2:2 record states.  They lost
their out-of-conference games, I believe, because they got lax.  They figured
that only USC, their first opponent, would be very difficult.  They figured
Southern Ill. and Nebraska (despite preseason hype, and I agree) were
pushovers.  Good estimate of their "ability", but bad attitude.  Oh, well,
they paid for overconfidence.  Now that they've been humbled a little, they
have the right attitude; to expect anything.

After all this, all I have to say is ...

	WATCH OUT, BIG TEN!  ILLINOIS IS ON THE MOVE!

Robert A. Ekblaw, ihnp4!uiucdcs!ekblaw

"The opinions expressed are probably very similar to those of this school."

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (10/10/85)

In article <13000029@uiucdcs> ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Illinois is really a better team than their 2:2 record states.  They lost
>their out-of-conference games, I believe, because they got lax.  They figured
>that only USC, their first opponent, would be very difficult.  They figured
>Southern Ill. and Nebraska (despite preseason hype, and I agree) were
>pushovers.
>Robert A. Ekblaw, ihnp4!uiucdcs!ekblaw

why (OH WHY) would illini think nebraska was a pushover?  in the last
four years nebraska has been out of the top 10 maybe a few weeks.
number one a LOT of weeks.  illin. was has been in the polls some the
last few years, and were recently at the top of a relatively weak big-10.
(and went on the embarass themselves at the rose bowl)

i don't think they thought nebraska was a pushover.  i think they
went in scared.  nebraska is known for whomping opponents early
in the season (florida state escluded:-)  i REALLY doubt they thought
nebraska was a pushover.  if they did, they deserved to get the crap
beat out of them like they did.

the interview i saw with ill's head coach before the game. he was basically
shitting twinkies and said something like "...i'd like to get my hands on the
person who scheduled this game IN nebraska after the USC game..."

	beat the hell out of texass!!

		ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

emuroga@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/10/85)

   I think there were two major problems in the early games: 1) lack of
intensity and 2) turnovers. I think the defense suffered most from lack
of intensity (Nebraska players were quoted as saying the Illini were
"soft") but the offensive line had problems also. The most painful things
were the 17 turnovers in the first 3 games. Against Ohio State, they only
turned over the ball once (an interception in Ohio States endzone).

E. Muroga

    (and UT will stomp on the Sooners)

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/11/85)

Poor naive fool!  I don't know what crap is shown on the news out your way,
but I know Mike White (the Illinois head coach), and he NEVER "shits twinkies".

You are obviously a victim of yellow journalism, man, and I'd complain to your
local press.

Robert A. Ekblaw

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/11/85)

My previous response deals with Ron Vaughn's response to my original note.
I meant no disregard to the other gentleman (I don't remember his name right
now).  His response wasn't viewable at the time I read Mr. Vaughn's response.
I apologize if he thought I was criticizing him.

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (10/16/85)

In article <13000031@uiucdcs> ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Poor naive fool!  I don't know what crap is shown on the news out your way,
>but I know Mike White (the Illinois head coach), and he NEVER "shits twinkies".
>Robert A. Ekblaw

it was in chicago, it was an on-camera interview with him, and he just
shook his head and said "i'd love to get my hands on the guy who scheduled
USC and Nebraska this early in the season..."  something like that.
it wasn't *true* shitting twinkies, but it WAS funny enough i was laughing
out loud.  the confidence was..... well, not there.

i DID make it down for UofI-OSU, and i DID cheer for your team, so
cut me some slack :-)

	OU trivia question #1:  what was UTs deepest offensive penetration
			     	against OU in this years shoot-out?

	OU trivia question #2:  how many first downs did UT have in the
				second half?

	boomer sooner,

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

answer:  #1:  OUs 46.  ha.  ha-ha.  it is to laugh.
answer:  #2:  same as minnesota in the first half.  none.

shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) (10/16/85)

> Well, nobody thought it possible (I know I didn't, and I always look for
> upsets), but Illinois beat Ohio State.  Some may ask why; I may have an
> answer.
>
> Illinois is really a better team than their 2:2 record states.  They lost
> their out-of-conference games, I believe, because they got lax.  They figured
> that only USC, their first opponent, would be very difficult.  They figured
> Southern Ill. and Nebraska (despite preseason hype, and I agree) were
> pushovers.  Good estimate of their "ability", but bad attitude.  Oh, well,
> they paid for overconfidence.  Now that they've been humbled a little, they
> have the right attitude; to expect anything.
>
> After all this, all I have to say is ...
>
> 	WATCH OUT, BIG TEN!  ILLINOIS IS ON THE MOVE!
>
> Robert A. Ekblaw, ihnp4!uiucdcs!ekblaw

> "The opinions expressed are probably very similar to those of this school."

hmmmm....  What a difference a week makes. It looks like Purdue brought out
the Illini's overconfidence again!!

It's a lucky thing for Illinois that they aren't playing Minnesota this year!!

shari