[net.sport.football] How good is Oklahoma?

mlb@drutx.UUCP (BurnsML) (10/28/85)

How good is Oklahoma, Eddy Lor? I will tell you, since you obviously
missed out on a few points. First of all, as far as their schedule
goes, yes they do have to play in the Big Eight, and have no control
over how good the other teams in the conference are. However, two
of those teams in the conference are ranked in the top 20, and will
be at season's end. Where are the Pac 10 representatives in the top
20? Their non-conference schedule this year includes Texas, Minnesota,
SMU, and Miami, all FOUR of which have been ranked in the top 20 at
some time this year!! What more do you want? Besides, I would venture
that 3 of those 4 could beat UCLA handily!! Second of all, as far as
the loss to Miami this year is concerned, I must point out that Tony
Casillas was unable to play in this game, and if he would have, it
would have beefed up OU's pass rushing considerably and may have changed
the outcome of the game. Also, OU lost Troy Aikman early in the game,
and his substitute had never played a down in a college game, which
hurt OU's offense considerably. Now Miami may still have beaten OU
even if those two played, but I would bet the score would have been
a lot closer. I only hope OU gets a chance to play Miami again in
the Orange Bowl this year.

open-minded Sooner fan
Bommer Sooner

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (11/01/85)

In article <380@drutx.UUCP> mlb@drutx.UUCP (BurnsML) writes:
>Second of all, as far as
>the loss to Miami this year is concerned, I must point out that Tony
>Casillas was unable to play in this game, and if he would have, it
>would have beefed up OU's pass rushing considerably and may have changed
>the outcome of the game. Also, OU lost Troy Aikman early in the game,
>and his substitute had never played a down in a college game

Actually, although I agree with the sentiment, this isn't quite true.
Jamelle Holieway quarterbacked a couple of offensive possessions in
Oklahoma's 41-6 victory over Kansas State earlier this season.  Still,
he was largely untested.  He did a great job against Iowa State this
past week, though.

>a lot closer. I only hope OU gets a chance to play Miami again in
>the Orange Bowl this year.

That would be interesting, and it's not that far-fetched a possibility,
either.  Oklahoma could get the automatic invitation from the Big Eight,
and if Miami goes 10-1 Orange Bowl officials would love to have them
in the game.

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland