[net.sport.football] NFL Forum #10

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/12/85)

For week no. 10...

Tension in Tampa .. The Luckless yet potent Offense:

	Well, it happened again.  In preparation for this week's discussion,
Tampa Bay proves interesting.  As I predicted would happen soon, Tampa Bay won
a game.  However, after touting their fine offense, it was the DEFENSE who won
the shutout against St. Louis yesterday [Sunday].  Strange things do happen in
this league!
	Despite the defensive win, though, Tampa Bay still has a powerful
offense.  Yet, despite that fact, they haven't won.  Why?  They have had a
problem with those two enemies of a football team -- penalties and turnovers.
Turnovers have been the worst; especially on the special teams.  They have had
more blocked kicks and punts, along with bad snaps on both offense and special
teams, than any other team in the league.  This can hinder a team, no doubt
about that!  These problems have contributed greatly to Tampa Bay's 1:9 record.
	Despite their record, though, they are a good offensive team.  Steve
DeBerg is a superb quarterback, with several years of practical experience.
He is a good scrambler, and has avoided many sacks (interesting note:  in their
two games against Chicago, he was only sacked a total of six times in both
games [four in one, two in another].  Against Chicago's strong defense, that's
very good!).  His completion/attemptions percentage is not great, but when
one removes the dropped passes that were delivered right on target, he has
shown to be a very good passer.  With all this, why can't Tampa Bay have a
better passing game?  Well, the dropped passes are one reason.  The receivers
seem to profess at having greasy hands on this team.  Also, their wide receiversare not great, especially in long yardage situations.  Many of the passes that
are completed are short yardage.  In a serious long yardage situation, Tampa
Bay just can't do it.
	Other shining star on the offense for Tampa Bay is James Wilder, the
running back.  Wilder has been doing very this year, with over five yards per
carry as his average.  He has had three 100+ yard games.  He has caught an
average of five passes per game.  Yet his team has a 1:9 record.  Bad luck?
Maybe.  I can't explain this one away.  Wilder has fumbled a couple of times,
but he seems no worse than most of the other running backs on other teams.
Even the great Walter Payton has lost the ball once this year.  Why has Tampa
failed to win on Wilder's power?  Teams expect it, that's why.  They often watchfor the hand-off to Wilder, and tackle him as soon as possible.  He is often
double-teamed as he leaves the line of scrimmage.  Good as he is, he can be
brought down.  And he has this season, often.
	I have faith in Tampa Bay, though.  They have been in a streak of
bad luck, but I think they can get out of it.  Six of their nine losses were
lost by less than 10 points.  I believe that they can win a few more games
before the season is over and, with proper training and drafting in the off-
season, ca pull themselves out of the cellar in the NFC Central next year.
	Next week, we discuss the team that Tampa Bay beat Sunday.  Be here
for the answer to the question, Where have all the Cardinals Gone?
(with apologies to Peter, Paul, and Mary).

NFL Ace

jjc@houxl.UUCP (J.CARBONARO) (11/13/85)

<Tension in Tampa .. The Luckless yet potent Offense:
<---------------------------------------------------
<	I have faith in Tampa Bay, though.  They have been in a streak of
<bad luck, but I think they can get out of it.  Six of their nine losses were
<lost by less than 10 points.  I believe that they can win a few more games
<before the season is over and, with proper training and drafting in the off-
<season, ca pull themselves out of the cellar in the NFC Central next year.
<
<NFL Ace

re: the statement about 6 of 9 losses by less than 10 points.
How MUCH less?!?  By itself, that isn't the least bit impressive.  10 points
is a LOT of points.  How many times do you see a game where the betting line
is 10 points or more - only with the most obvious mismatches.  And you're
saying that 3 of 9 WERE lost by at least 10 points.  Sorry, but that's
pretty bad.
Does anyone out there know by how much the average game is won?  I'd like
to know.

foonberg@aero.ARPA (Alan Foonberg) (11/15/85)

In article <13000062@uiucdcs> ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>For week no. 10...
>
>Tension in Tampa .. The Luckless yet potent Offense:

...blah, blah, blah,...

>	Next week, we discuss the team that Tampa Bay beat Sunday.  Be here
>for the answer to the question, Where have all the Cardinals Gone?
>(with apologies to Peter, Paul, and Mary).
>
>NFL Ace

Whatever happened to net.sport.football.ekblaw????  I can't wait to
unsubscribe to it!

Alan

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/15/85)

This year, the average losses are:

	in-conference:		15 points
	out-of-conference:	12 points

Most of the games that Tampa Bay has lost has been by FIVE points or less!
That is well below the average!  You should stop looking at a team's record
and start looking at their performance.  They ARE ranked 13th in the league in
offensive yardage per game.  That beats "monsters" like San Francisco and the
LA Raiders.  Look sharp, or you'll get stung!

Robert A. Ekblaw