[net.sport.football] Atrocious officiating on Monday Night

ccs007@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) (11/13/85)

I have been an avid fan of NFL football for many years, and have seen more games
than most.  However, the officiating on Monday's Denver/ S.F. game was a
complete and utter travesty.

There will always be the occasional bad call, but the inconsistent rulings of
the officials in that game were positively vile.  I will forgive the
questionable (to put it kindly) pass interference call on a crucial third down
play in the Broncos' last scoring drive, but the missed call of interference
against Denver in the End Zone disgusted me.

Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.  It's beyond me that
the officials did not call an unsportsmanlike against the crowd at that point.
According the rules, that is within their power.

More angry than most,
Gary Huckabay.

!ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!ccs007

"Frankly, I don't care if you decide I'm vermin.  I was a rhubarb before you
 were even a thought."

"Full fifty men lay strewn about its lair!"

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (11/14/85)

>             However, the officiating on Monday's Denver/ S.F. game was a
> complete and utter travesty.

I am a Bronco fan, and I agree.

> Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
> second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.  It's beyond me that
> the officials did not call an unsportsmanlike against the crowd at that point.
> According the rules, that is within their power.

The  snowball  incident  was  unfortunate,  and I think they should have
replayed the down.  But to say the Broncos would have lost is ludicrous.
Play calling revolve around the current score.  For example, the Broncos
might not have gone for the TD in the third  quarter  (they  would  have
been  behind  instead of ahead),  and in the last  drive of the game the
Broncos would  certainly have made more of an effort to score a TD.  I'm
not saying that the Broncos would have won, I'm saying it is not obvious
they would have lost.

-- Jeff Wu

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (11/14/85)

> I will forgive the
> questionable (to put it kindly) pass interference call on a crucial third down
> play in the Broncos' last scoring drive

  You are dead wrong here. The replay CLEARLY showed that the defender
HAD HIS HAND ON WATSON'S CHEST, while the ball was in the air, and was not
looking for the ball. Say what you want about the current interference rules,
but according to the rules as stated, that was interference. You can say that
the Broncos were 'lucky' if you want, but I disagree. An infraction was
committed and was properly flagged. If the defender hadn't committed the
infraction, there would be no 'luck' for the Broncos.

> but the missed call of interference
> against Denver in the End Zone disgusted me.

  I'll give you that one. The officials blew the call. The replay showed that
Harden hit the receiver before the ball got there. However, Harden was at least
looking for the ball. In this case, the determination is whether Harden
deliberately hit the receiver to prevent his catching the pass, or whether he
was going for the ball. I think it was interference, but it's tougher to call
in this case. The major difference between these two plays is that in one
case, the defender had his eyes on the ball, and in the other, he didn't.
According to the new rules this year, that is critical.

> Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
> second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.

  I think that is really leaping to conclusions. Psychologically, the game
would have been different had they made that field goal, plus the fact that
there is no guarantee that they would have made it had there not been
a snowball. We don't know for sure that the snowball was the reason
Cavanaugh bobbled the snap. And we don't know Weirshing would have made
the kick had he fielded the snap properly. BTW, I do not approve of throwing
ANY kind of projectile onto the field. Someone could get hurt. I am not trying
to defend the snowball thrower, I just think that's a pretty lame excuse
coming from a 49'ers fan who is feeling sour grapes. If the 49'ers had scored
a touchdown when they had first and goal from the three, or had Earl Cooper
not dropped an easy touchdown pass, we might not be arguing this. The 49'ers
blew it, pure and simple. They had plenty of opportunities to put the game away
in the 3rd quarter, and THEY BLEW IT. No excuses.

> It's beyond me that
> the officials did not call an unsportsmanlike against the crowd at that point.
> According the rules, that is within their power.

  Is it? Apparently that is a matter of some controversey. I understand
the league office is instituting some new rules specifically to cover
incidents like this.

> More angry than most,
> Gary Huckabay.

  Make that sour grapes. If the 49'ers didn't blow games that they could have
won, they wouldn't be 5-5 and you wouldn't be using snowballs as excuses.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

charlie@nbires.UUCP (Charles Carrington) (11/14/85)

In article <284@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs007@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) writes:
>I will forgive the
>questionable (to put it kindly) pass interference call on a crucial third down
>play in the Broncos' last scoring drive, but the missed call of interference
>against Denver in the End Zone disgusted me.

If you follow the NFL, then you know that pass interference is different this
year.  A defender can virtually decapitate a receiver and get away with it,
if (now pay attention) HE IS MAKING A PLAY ON THE BALL. Otherwise, it's
interference.  Steve Watson and Mike Harden understand this rule.  Apparently
you and Dwight Hicks do not.

>Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
>second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.

You should be as ashamed of this kind of sour grapes as I am ashamed of that
fan.  There were 145 plays run from scrimmage, 15 punts, plus assorted kickoffs
and field goal attempts.  The outcome could have turned any one of them.  I
don't think that one snowball and 5 (count them, only 5) penalties decided
this game.

Face it, Pal, the 49ers were beaten fair and square, in a tough game, by the
better team.

>More angry than most,
>Gary Huckabay.

Because you had more money on the game than most? :-)

--
Charles Carrington	charlie@nbires.UUCP	(303) 444-5710
NBI Inc,  Boulder CO

tml@druhi.UUCP (Tim Larison) (11/14/85)

> I have been an avid fan of NFL football for many years, and have seen more games
> than most.  However, the officiating on Monday's Denver/ S.F. game was a
> complete and utter travesty.

> There will always be the occasional bad call, but the inconsistent rulings of
> the officials in that game were positively vile.  I will forgive the
> questionable (to put it kindly) pass interference call on a crucial third down
> play in the Broncos' last scoring drive, but the missed call of interference
> against Denver in the End Zone disgusted me.

> Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
> second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.  It's beyond me that
> the officials did not call an unsportsmanlike against the crowd at that point.
> According the rules, that is within their power.

> More angry than most,
> Gary Huckabay.

If I follow the logic here, I think your saying:

If no snowball is thrown, then San Francisco makes the field goal.  Add
3 points to the 49'ers total and they win 19 - 17.

Now wait a minute!  For one, the missed field goal occurred in the first
half, and the 49'ers had more than enough time to make up the points.
I think the 49'ers going 1 for 16 on third down conversions and being inside the
5 yard line twice without scoring a touchdown had more to do with
loss than a missed field goal.

And if the 49'ers had made the field goal, it would have been a different
ball game.  Instead of going for a field goal on that last drive, Denver
could have scored a touchdown (they were inside the 10) and have won
21 - 19.

Has anyone read an interview with the S.F. field goal holder?  I wonder
if he thinks the snowball made him drop the ball.  From the replays
I saw the ball still hit him right in the hands after the snowball
had landed a few feet away.  Championship teams seem to be able to
transcend such adversity and win anyway.

                                    Tim Larison  ihnp4!drutx!druhi!tml

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (11/16/85)

> I have been an avid fan of NFL football for many years, and have seen more games
> than most.  However, the officiating on Monday's Denver/ S.F. game was a
> complete and utter travesty.
>
> There will always be the occasional bad call, but the inconsistent rulings of
> the officials in that game were positively vile.  I will forgive the
> questionable (to put it kindly) pass interference call on a crucial third down
> play in the Broncos' last scoring drive, but the missed call of interference
> against Denver in the End Zone disgusted me.

You hit it right on the head. Inconsistency.  There were many questionable
situations involving pass interference (possibly) that were let go
(remeber that play the 49ers made on Broncos TE Mike Barber deep in
SF territory-- I'd call that interference, along with at least some
of the other situations that have been mentioned). As I understand
it, the DB has more freedom, but he still has to play the ball and
not the man.  To me, it's ridiculous that all these other situations
were let go, while a key one late in the game was called, especially
since Watson was really making no effort to try to catch the ball at
all-- it looked almost like it was a set up play.  These calls are
all judgement calls, I realise.  But I do like to have a little
consistency-- if it's called a certain way, it should be called that
way every time.

> Without its fine, classy fan that threw the snowball at Matt Cavanaugh in the
> second quarter, the Broncos would be 6-4 at this point.  It's beyond me that
> the officials did not call an unsportsmanlike against the crowd at that point.
> According the rules, that is within their power.

I hardly think that the snowball made a decisive difference in the
game.  I think, though, that even most Denver fans would agree that
it wouldn't be unreasonable to run the play over again (hopefully
without the snowball).  Saying that this was THE key play of the
game, though, was a bit much, despite the emotional effects of such
a play, and what might have happened on a replay of the down.  I also
am not sure that the officials can call an unsportsmanlike conduct
against the crowd, though they can inisist the down be played over.

In any case, things generally have a tendency to even out, and one
game does not a season make. If the Niners hadn't lost a couple of
easy ones early, this game wouldn't have been so crucial.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom