[net.sport.football] conference comparisons

45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) (10/30/85)

James C. Armstrong, Jnr. says he can't give respect to the SEC
because he doesn't think the teams play each other. Well they do.
The SEC has ten teams. They can't play EVERYONE in a year since
that would take up nine of the eleven games.  Each team plays
six conference games EVERY year. Some of the opponents are the same
each year, i.e. Florida - Georgia, Florida - Auburn, Georgia - Auburn,
Auburn - Alabama, etc. Some of the opponents vary over the years.
Georgia now plays Alabama each year.  They will continue this for a while.
Likewise Florida plays Alabama in 10 year intervals. They played
throughout the '70s and will play again in the 90's. I don't know
about the other SEC teams but Florida has four fixed opponents,
(Mississippi State, LSU, Auburn and Georgia) and two 'rovers',
(this year Tennessee and Kentucky).

So maybe Mr. Armstrong can explain what he is talking about when
he says the SEC teams don't play each other.

kvk@ihlpm.UUCP (Kevin) (10/30/85)

> James C. Armstrong, Jnr. says he can't give respect to the SEC
> because he doesn't think the teams play each other. Well they do.
> The SEC has ten teams. They can't play EVERYONE in a year since
> that would take up nine of the eleven games.  Each team plays
> six conference games EVERY year.

Ever hear of the Big Ten Conference? Give me a break!
Whoops, I forgot, Illinois did drop Minnesota this year so they could
pick up Nebraska on their schedule!

Face it, the good teams in the SEC don't like to play each other often
because they would rather maintain their vastly overblown reputation
and not hurt their recruiting in the south.

						Kevin Kinder
						ihnp4!ihlpm!kvk

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (10/31/85)

> James C. Armstrong, Jnr. says he can't give respect to the SEC
> because he doesn't think the teams play each other. Well they do.
> The SEC has ten teams. They can't play EVERYONE in a year since
> that would take up nine of the eleven games.  Each team plays
> six conference games EVERY year.

Yes, and I seem to remeber a year where Georgia had a very soft
conference six (skipped Alabama & LSU that year; funny they usually
seem to give Alabama a miss...), finished 5-1 in those six, 0-5 in
the other five, and almost made the Sugar Bowl.

There are conferences who play each other, maybe giving one
team a miss a year, and not the same team each year!  Look at
the Big 10 (8 of 9), Pac 10 (ditto), SWC (all 8), WAC (all 8!),
Big 8 (all 7), ACC (all 7; when Georgia Tech is fully integrated),
etc.  All certainly better than 6 of 9 conference opponents!
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell 229-6893) (11/04/85)

>Ever hear of the Big Ten Conference? Give me a break!
>Whoops, I forgot, Illinois did drop Minnesota this year so they could
>pick up Nebraska on their schedule!
>
>Face it, the good teams in the SEC don't like to play each other often
>because they would rather maintain their vastly overblown reputation
>and not hurt their recruiting in the south.
>
>						Kevin Kinder
>						ihnp4!ihlpm!kvk

I have heard of the Big Ten Conference.  It seems the Big 10 consists of
Michigan, Ohio State and recently Iowa, who are the seven dwarfs??

Georgia plays Florida and Auburn every year.  Auburn plays Florida and Alabama
every year.  I am not sure who LSUs and Tennessee's yearly opponents are.

If every team in the SEC played every other team in the SEC, then teams like
Kentucky, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt would never have a real chance to play in a
bowl, because ultimately the stronger teams in the conference would prevail.
Because of the SEC scheduling, these teams could still have a good SEC and
non-conference record and be invited to a bowl game.  The SEC usually does as
well if not better than any other conference in post season play.  How did the
Big 10 do in last years bowls?

					-- Roger Pannell

ARPA:    pannell%dosadi.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA, pannell%dosadi.DEC@Purdue-Merlin.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dosadi!pannell

pannell@dosadi.DEC (Roger D. Pannell 229-6893) (11/04/85)

>Yes, and I seem to remeber a year where Georgia had a very soft
>conference six (skipped Alabama & LSU that year; funny they usually
>seem to give Alabama a miss...), finished 5-1 in those six, 0-5 in
>the other five, and almost made the Sugar Bowl.
>

>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

I think I remember the year too.  Heading into the last game of the year
against Georgia Tech, Georgia would have been  the SEC representative to the
Sugar Bowl if Auburn beat Alabama.  Vince Dooley said that if it turned out
that they were the SEC representative and they lost to Tech, then Georgia would
decline the trip to the Sugar Bowl.  As it turned out, 'Bama beat Auburn and
went to the Sugar Bowl.

And as far as Georgia "giving Alabama a miss", that could work both ways
especially during the '80s.  In fact, if you watched the Georgia-Bama game
Labor day, then you should have seen a graphic that indicated Georgia has done
quite well against Alabama.  Besides, I don't think you could place any blame
with a certain school for not playing a certain other school.  Scheduling
would be handled by the conference, following the rules of that conference.
No school would be able to break those rules just to get a soft schedule and
the schedules would be known years in advance, so that you couldn't even
predict which teams would be the best.

					-- Roger Pannell

ARPA:    pannell%dosadi.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA, pannell%dosadi.DEC@Purdue-Merlin.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dosadi!pannell

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/06/85)

The "7 Dwarves" are:

Illinois	winning record for last six years in a row; finished top three
		in the conference last three years.

Purdue		winning record last three years in a row; tied for second place
		in the conference last year.

Michigan State	winning record last three years in a row; beaten Michigan twice
		in last four years.

Indiana

Wisconsin	winning record last two years in a row.

Northwestern

Minnesota	had a 5:1 national record up to two weeks ago, still a strong
		team.

Most of these folks are NOT weak.  One should know what one is talking about
before they make asinine statements.  Unless one is very stupid, of course.

rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) (11/09/85)

The big-two/little-eight metaphor probably applied 10 years ago, when
Michigan and Ohio State dominated; but such is no longer the case.

Iowa and Illinois, particularly, have had strong teams in the last several
years; Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan State have been right on their heels
from time to time as well.  (Recall, for instance, that Purdue was undefeated
in post-season play until last year, with 3 bowl appearances in 5 years.)

Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana seem to be the only teams that haven't
had consistent winning years in the 80's (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Even so, Wisconsin gave Illinois quite a battle in the mud-bowl last year;
Indiana got off to a good start this year.  Northwestern is no longer 0-and-N.

The conference is becoming more balanced; I expect that Wisconsin and Indiana
will be improving as well in the next couple of years; unfortunately, I don't
see the same thing happening for Northwestern, since their enrollment is
so much smaller, and their academic requirements are somewhat higher.
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@pur-ee.uucp rsk@purdue.uucp rsk@purdue-asc.arpa

jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (Jon M. Hanrath) (11/11/85)

>Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana seem to be the only teams that haven't
>had consistent winning years in the 80's (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm almost positive Wisconsin has had 4 7-4 years in a row.  That's pretty
consistent.  This year the lost 18 starters, hence the bad year in the
conference.  11 of last year's players were drafted by the NFL, 3 in the first
round (why they only went 7-4 last year is beyond me).  The Badgers have
been in 3 bowls (albe-them minor bowls) in the last 4 years, and have beaten
Ohio State 3 of the last 4 years, and I think the last time OSU lost to
a team at Columbus was to Bucky. They are terribly young this year, so
watch out in 3 years.

Go Bucky! (I hate to say it but congrats Gopher fans for last week)

Jon Hanrath

shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) (11/12/85)

> >Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Indiana seem to be the only teams that haven't
> >had consistent winning years in the 80's (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Go Bucky! (I hate to say it but congrats Gopher fans for last week)
>
> Jon Hanrath

I believe 6 or 7 big 10 teams went to bowl games last year. I know they
lost most of them, but just the fact that they were respected enough to
be invited says something I think.

Minnesota, by defeating Wisconsin is assured of their first winning record
since 1981. In 1982-1983 (the 2 pre-Lou Holtz years) the Gophers had a
4-18 record, losing 18 straight big 10 games. What a difference a coach
makes!!

--
..!ihnp4!rosevax!shari  a Minnesota Gopher fan forever!!!

Shari Nelson
Rosemount Inc.  MS A32
12001 W. 78th St.
Eden Prairie, Mn.  55344

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (11/17/85)

In article <241@rosevax.UUCP> shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) writes:
>I believe 6 or 7 big 10 teams went to bowl games last year. I know they
>lost most of them, but just the fact that they were respected enough to
>be invited says something I think.
>..!ihnp4!rosevax!shari  a Minnesota Gopher fan forever!!!

you can interpret just about anything in life  any way you want.  last
year any big-10 team .500 or over wasn't on probation went to
a bowl.  and they got whipped all over the place.

it wasn't respect for the football ability -- the big-10 really wasn't that
hot a conference last year.  it's the fact that at smaller bowls the
bowl reps. try to pick teams that 8zillion fans will follow to the game
and spend big bucks, and their home crowds will watch on tv.  there was
an article recently in the chicago trib about picking bowl teams.  they
interviewd some bowl reps who said "the big-10 states have 1/4 of all the
TVs in america.  and they love their football, and follow their teams."
etc. etc.  big-10 teams were "good picks," but this guy was talking $$$$,
not football.

the respect they had wasn't due exclusively to football ability.

	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv