[net.sport.football] Washington Redskins and a thought about the Broncos

mas@drutx.UUCP (Mike Schwarz) (11/19/85)

After watching the Redskins/Giants game last night I am convinced that people
are sick.  Joe Theisman(sp??) broke his leg last night, and ABC sport made it
the highlight of the night.  That is truely sick, having broke a leg I know
what it feels like and to this day my mind replays the event in my worst
nightmares.  I feel for Joe and hope this injury does not end his career.  I
also feel for ABC sports in that a broken leg had to be re-enforced thought the
game.

After seeing all the articles about snowballs and such, I thought I would
comment on the state of Broncos fans, being one myself.  We Bronco fans bolster
about our team because the Broncos were always the brunt of all the NFL/AFL
jokes, getting beat up by the Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, and etc.
Now the Broncos are on the verge of greatness, for the first time in the clubs
history.  I hear on the local sports talk shows this would be greatly helped
by trading John Elway and Rich Karlis for an offensive line to protect Gary
Kubiak.  These people also loose site in that John Elway is the better quarter-
back, and Gary Kubiak is in the position he is in for a reason, Gary is a great
back up.  I would not trade either of these players, but I would love to see
some tightening up of the offensive line.  All the players are here now to be
a contender, and as a Bronco fan for 15 years I am glad to see it, and swell
with pride for my team.  I am also a Detroit Lions fan, but .......

Go Broncos

Mike Schwarz

By the way, can anybody tell me the Chargers starting quarterback's name back
when Danny Fouts had a contract problem, and what happened to his back-up in
the Bronco/Charger game in San Diego.  I believe Tommy Prothro was the coach.
Also what was unusual about the Chargers starter and where did SD get him from.

Note, what the Denver papers said at the time was Dan Fouts' request was out of
line for a so-so quarterback.  After the Denver game SD ownership changed their
minds and gave him what he wanted, what inspired this change of attitude.

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (11/20/85)

In article <628@drutx.UUCP> mas@drutx.UUCP (Mike Schwarz) writes:

>After watching the Redskins/Giants game last night I am convinced that people
>are sick.  Joe Theisman(sp??) broke his leg last night, and ABC sport made it
>the highlight of the night.  That is truely sick, having broke a leg I know
>what it feels like and to this day my mind replays the event in my worst
>nightmares.  I feel for Joe and hope this injury does not end his career.  I
>also feel for ABC sports in that a broken leg had to be re-enforced thought the
Hold it! Did we watch the same game? I saw one replay of the incident (truly
sickening) and one only. I admired ABC's restraint. Gifford also warned the
audience to not watch if they were squemish. If there there more replays I must
have been taking a piss.

BTW, I also admired the compassion and simple humanity displayed by Lawrence
Taylor afterwards. A class guy, besides a great great linebacker.
--

        Hank Buurman    Tektronix Inc.   ihnp4!tektronix!dadlac!hankb
	* 	     "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. *

stein@druny.UUCP (SteinDW) (11/21/85)

>>After watching the Redskins/Giants game last night I am convinced that people
>>are sick.  Joe Theisman(sp??) broke his leg last night, and ABC sport made it
>>the highlight of the night.  That is truely sick, having broke a leg I know
>>what it feels like and to this day my mind replays the event in my worst
>>nightmares.  I feel for Joe and hope this injury does not end his career.  I
>>also feel for ABC sports in that a broken leg had to be re-enforced thought the

>Hold it! Did we watch the same game? I saw one replay of the incident (truly
>sickening) and one only. I admired ABC's restraint. Gifford also warned the
>audience to not watch if they were squemish. If there there more replays I must
>have been taking a piss.

Either you were taking a piss or you did ***NOT*** see the same broadcast
I did. I saw that replay at least three times.

Don Stein
druny!stein