[net.sport.football] The Rose Bowl

jmd@mhuxl.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (11/08/85)

With all of the Big 10 vs Pac 10 articles on the net, I figure someone
could answer these questions for me.  Why is the Rose Bowl locked in to
inviting the Big 10 and Pac 10 champions?  If some written contract was
agreed upon between the two conferences and the bowl commitee, how long
does it last?

The Rose Bowl is always touted as the Grandaddy of them all.  Big whoop!
That might have been something special back in the 70's when USC and
Ohio St. or Michigan had their annual matchup to decide the national
championship but, the past few years the game hasn't meant anything
except to determine which conference champ is better (No insults intended
to the Big 10 or Pac 10).  Why doesn't the Rose Bowl go for the two best
teams they can get and have their game settle the question of who is #1?

						Joe Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						mhuxl!jmd

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/11/85)

From what I understand, the Rose Bowl PAC 10 v. Big 10 matchup is more traditionthan anything else.  Besides, it is doubtable that it determine the #1 in the
next few years anyway, since no PAC 10 team makes it that high in the national
rankings anymore.  The Rose Bowl is committed to having a PAC 10 play there,
just like the Cotton Bowl has a Southwestern Conference team.  The Rose Bowl,
in an effort to get the best team, takes the PAC 10 champion.  Why always play
against the Big 10 Champ?  As I said, tradition.  For nearly all of the Rose
Bowl games (dating back to 1902), it has been the PAC 10/Big 10 matchup.
Tradition IS very hard to break, after all.

By the way, it is called the granddaddy not for its prestige (though I hope
it still has some) but for its age.  It is the oldest annual college bowl game
still being played, as this season's will mark its 72nd consecutive year (it
has skipped a few since 1902).  That is 20 years (exactly!) more than its
nearest competitors (Sugar Bowl is one, I think te Orange or Cotton is the
other at 52 this year.  I forgot which one).  Being the oldest, it earned its
mark of distinction (of age?).  With all the new and recent bowl additions,
though, it may be more than two generations old.  Should we start calling it
the great-granddaddy, and give the granddaddy title to the 52-year old bowls?

Robert A. Ekblaw

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (11/14/85)

>since no PAC 10 team makes it that high in the national
>rankings anymore.

Umm...excuse me, but I believe Washington started this year ranked at #1 by
Sports Illustrated, and ended last year ranked #2 by virtually everyone.

I think it was two years ago that Washington was ranked #1 by AP and UPI for
seven weeks during the middle of the season, then Elway's Stanford team
upset them (this was the year Marino was a senior at Pitt).

I don't think it is possible to make blanket statements about any of the
big football conferences as to which is the best over any period of time.
By "big football conferences" I mean Big-10, Big-8, SEC, PAC-10, and SWC.
The ACC is almost that big but they still mostly concentrate on b-ball.

Flames to /dev/null

Peter B

abbajay@oracle.UUCP (Dave Abbajay) (11/14/85)

In article <13000057@uiucdcs>, ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> From what I understand, the Rose Bowl PAC 10 v. Big 10 matchup is more
> traditionthan anything else.  ....
> ... Why always play against the Big 10 Champ?  As I said, tradition.

The Rose Bowl committee has a contract with both the PAC-10 and the BIG-10
through, I believe, 1990. After that, we may see a change. Yes tradition
IS a big part of it, but so is contract legalities, money, TV rights, etc.
The Rose Bowl is usually the highest rated game in the Nielsens,
next to the Super Bowl, on the average (obviously depends on the matchups).
--
Dave Abbajay
Senior Technical Staff

In article <13000057@uiucdcs> ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>From what I understand, the Rose Bowl PAC 10 v. Big 10 matchup is more
>traditionthan anything else.  Besides, it is doubtable that it determine
>the #1 in the
>next few years anyway, since no PAC 10 team makes it that high in the national
>rankings anymore.  The Rose Bowl is committed to having a PAC 10 play there,
>just like the Cotton Bowl has a Southwestern Conference team.  The Rose Bowl,
>in an effort to get the best team, takes the PAC 10 champion.  Why always play
>against the Big 10 Champ?  As I said, tradition.

This is incorrect.  The Rose Bowl is automatically between the Big 10 and
Pac 10 champions.  This has been true since (I believe) 1945; except that
before sometime in the late sixties and early seventies, teams could not
repeat (at least from the Big 10), so if the same team won its league
twice running, the second place team would go instead.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

eproj@burl.UUCP (eproj) (11/19/85)

> The Rose Bowl is automatically between the Big 10 and
> Pac 10 champions.  This has been true since (I believe) 1945;.....

How many people know that the Rose Bowl was played in Durham,
N.C. (Duke Univ.)? Anyone care to guess what year and why?

so long,
Dave

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (11/20/85)

> How many people know that the Rose Bowl was played in Durham,
> N.C. (Duke Univ.)? Anyone care to guess what year and why?

If I remeber correctly, it was during the war years, so I will guess
New Year's Day 1942 or '43.  It was because everyone on the West
Coast was expecting the Japanese to land any second, so, for civil
defense (blackouts and so forth) reasons, the game was moved East.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (11/20/85)

The Rose Bowl was played in NC in 1942 because of the fear of the Japanese
attacking the West Coast. Obviously, they thought the Germans had less of
a chance of making it to the East Coast.

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering

A dedicated Big Ten and U of M fan!

jedi@cuuxb.UUCP (Stephan M. Adams) (11/20/85)

Yep, the Rose Bowl was on the East Coast in Jan. 1942, due to the fear of
Japanese attack on California.....(right?)(ie this is a guess)

				-Steve Adams
				ihnp4!cuuxb!jedi

	"Let's go out there and win one for the gipper!"

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (11/20/85)

Perhaps because Duke was playing Oregon State on 1 January, 1942,
shortly after the Pearl Harbor raid and they didn't want large targets
on the west coast?

(PS Oregon State won that Rose Bowl, 21-16.)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"All these corridors look the same to me!"  Who said it, what story?

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/22/85)

> > The Rose Bowl is automatically between the Big 10 and
> > Pac 10 champions.  This has been true since (I believe) 1945;.....
>
> How many people know that the Rose Bowl was played in Durham,
> N.C. (Duke Univ.)? Anyone care to guess what year and why?
>
> so long,
> Dave

It was played in Durham for one year during the war (WWII). The year
I believe was 1943. The reason was they were afraid of all the people
going to the LA area during the war. National Security reasons.

 Now, Rose Bowl Fans, which team has played more games in the
 Rose Bowl than any other team???

shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) (11/26/85)

>  Now, Rose Bowl Fans, which team has played more games in the
>  Rose Bowl than any other team???

   Team      Appearances
1. USC       24
2. Michigan  13
3. Ohio St.  12
4. Stanford  11
5. Wash.     10
6. UCLA       9
7. Calif.     8
8. Alabama    6
9. Pitt       4
   Illinois   4

Many others w/ 3,2 and 1
right?

--
..!ihnp4!rosevax!shari  a Minnesota Gopher fan forever!!!

Shari Nelson
Rosemount Inc.
12001 W. 78th St.
Eden Prairie, Mn.  55344

cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) (11/29/85)

>>  Now, Rose Bowl Fans, which team has played more games in the
>>  Rose Bowl than any other team???
>
>   Team      Appearances
>1. USC       24
[ a long list of other teams ...]
One must remember that the Rose Bowl is not just the name of a game played
on January first;  it is the name of the stadium.  Thus, ask yourself
which team plays (has played) its home games in the Rose Bowl.  For the
last few years one of the big LA teams has played its home games in the
Rose Bowl.  I am ashamed to admit I don't remember whether it is USC or
UCLA.  That doesn't matter.  The team that has played more games in the
Rose Bowl than any other, the team that routinely played in front of
100,000 empty seets, is the:

Califorina Institute of Technology!!
--
Courtenay Footman		arpa:	cpf@lnsvax.tn.cornell.edu
Newman Lab. of Nuclear Studies	usenet (finally this will work):

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (12/02/85)

> >  Now, Rose Bowl Fans, which team has played more games in the
> >  Rose Bowl than any other team???
>
>    Team      Appearances
> 1. USC       24
> 2. Michigan  13
> 3. Ohio St.  12
> 4. Stanford  11
> 5. Wash.     10
> 6. UCLA       9
> 7. Calif.     8
> 8. Alabama    6
> 9. Pitt       4
>    Illinois   4
>
> Many others w/ 3,2 and 1
> right?

Wrong its ' Pasadena Valley Junior College'
(It's their home field)
Gotcha |-)