[net.sport.football] I need some help...

ccs007@ucdavis.UUCP (Cionex) (12/02/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR DEAD RAMS ***

If, theoretically, the following NFC teams made the playoffs under the listed
circumstances, who would play where?  Does the team with the best record get
to play the wild-card winner at home, unless they're from the same division,
or what?

Playoff Teams (theoretical...don't yell at me over something this trivial.)

Chicago (14-2)
New York Giants (11-5)
San Francisco (11-5)
Dallas (10-6) (Wild Card)
Los Angeles (11-5) (Wild Card)

O.k...Dallas would play at L.A., but where would the winner play?

I'm curious...

Gary Huckabay
!ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!ccs007

"I have no way of knowing what forms of life you might have in that bag."

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (12/03/85)

>Playoff Teams (theoretical...don't yell at me over something this trivial.)
>
>Chicago (14-2)
>New York Giants (11-5)
>San Francisco (11-5)
>Dallas (10-6) (Wild Card)
>Los Angeles (11-5) (Wild Card)
>
>O.k...Dallas would play at L.A., but where would the winner play?

The wild card winner (Dallas/LA) would play in Chicago because the first
place team with the best record (Chi) hosts the wild card team unless
they are in the same division.  In that case the first place team with the
second best record hosts the wild card team.  For the NY-SF game, the
tie breaker rules would be used to determine who the home team is.  Since
they did not play each other this season the tie breaker would probably
be best conference record.  The conference championship game is hosted
by the first place team with the best record.  Note that a wild card team
can never host a first place team in the playoffs even if the wild card
has the better record.
--
     Bernie Dougan
     CONCURRENT Computer Corp (a Perkin-Elmer Company)

williams@vu-vlsi.UUCP ( Student) (12/04/85)

Gary Huckabay writes :
> If, theoretically, the following NFC teams made the playoffs under the listed
> circumstances, who would play where?

Using your theoretical teams;
	Winner of the Dallas-LA wild card game would play @ Chicago

	The 49ers would play @ NY because the Giants have a better
	conference record.

	If the Bears win they play at home.

	If the Bears lose, the winner of the wildcard game plays away.

> ..Does the team with the best record get
> to play the wild-card winner at home, unless they're from the same division,
> or what?
yes.

						-rob schreiber-
						posted by -taw

					allegra!\
"Feed Jane Fonda to the Whales"			 !pyrnj!vu-vlsi!williams
					  topaz!/

ekblaw@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/04/85)

Normally, the wildcard winner plays the team with the best record (in your
example, the Bears).  Thus, Dallas/LA would be at Chicago.  The case of
NY v. the 49ers would depend on how they shaped up on the tiebreaker
statistics (posted a couple of weeks by two nice people).  At least,
I think that's how it works....

borodkin@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/06/85)

For divisional playoffs, the two best divisional winners are
host teams; the wildcard winner and the other divisional winner
are road teams.  A wild-card team cannot play a team in its own
division until the  championship; this constraint usually
determines who plays where.  If the wild-card team and the third
division champ ARE from the same division, the best team in the
conference (e.g. Bears) gets to host the wild-card.

				Stephen L. Borodkin

        		USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!borodkin
        		CSNET:	borodkin%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
        		ARPA:	borodkin@uiuc.arpa

In article <140100002@uiucdcsb> borodkin@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>A wild-card team cannot play a team in its own
>division until the  championship;

Not quite; if both wild card teams are from the same division, they
do play each first.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka