[net.sport.football] Orphaned Response

lief@hpfcrs.UUCP (lief) (04/12/85)

>/***** hpfcrs:net.sport.foot / drupa!tml / 10:55 am  Apr 14, 1985*/
>In Denver, where the Broncos have a 25,000 name waiting list for
>season tickets, the USFL Gold is drawing about 10,000 a game in a
>75,000 seat stadium.  If the USFL can't make it in a football
>crazy city like this one (and a city with no major league
>baseball to compete for the sports dollar), I doubt if they
>can make it anywhere.
>/* ---------- */

     The thing that really is incredible is that last year, the Gold was
drawing upwards of 45,000 people I believe -- in fact I believe they were
first in attendance.  This year they are last in attendance -- and a much
better team.  I can think of a few reasons why the disparity:

- People of Denver are very fond of Craig Morton, and thus are taking their
  anger out on the Gold because of his firing after last season.

- Doug Spedding is a well known car dealer in the area.  In many people's
  books, car dealers are crooks -- and undoubtedly many folks in Denver have
  bought lemons from the guy -- so why not get revenge and let the guy go
  bankrupt.

- Last season the Broncos finished with an all time Bronco record of 13-3.
  It's very difficult to get exited about a mediocre team after a sizzling
  perfomance by the Broncos.

- The media coverage of the Gold is severly limited (as with all USFL teams).
  Folks don't hardly know anyone on the roster.

Lief Sorensen
HP Fort Collins, CO
Uucp ...!hpfcla!lief

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (07/18/85)

Re: USFL integration into NFL

Your proposition is quite interesting. But it kills too many of the
intense rivalries (Dallas vs. Washington is the prime example). Of
course I could never understand how Atlanta got to be in the Western
Division of the NFC. Straightening out the geographic insanity of the
NFL is an overdue operation.

In addition, there are too many weak divisions. Take the NFC South for
example: Atlanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay. Let's get
real! None of them would probably deserve to be in the playoffs. And
the AFC Central (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Miami, Pittsburgh) is a
powerhouse where some deserving team would be left out.

My guess is that the NFL will let the USFL shrivel and die. Those teams
with rights to good players will exercise them (witness Mike Rozier and
Trumaine Johnson). Of course then the NFL is stuck undoing the stupid
45 man player limit they just voted in.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

glen@hpfcla.UUCP (glen) (09/16/85)

		** 1985 Denver Broncos NFL Schedule **
		**  all times in local Denver time  **

Date           Who                        Home Game             Time
Sept  8        Los Angeles Rams           No                    2:00pm
Sept 15        New Orleans Saints         Yes                   2:00pm
Sept 22        Atlanta Falcons            No                   11:00am
Sept 29        Miami Dolphins             Yes                   2:00pm
Oct   6        Houston Oilers             Yes                   2:00pm
Oct  13        Indianapolis Colts         No                   11:00am
Oct  20        Seattle Seahawks           Yes                   2:00pm
Oct  27        Kansas City Chiefs         No                   11:00am
Nov   3        San Diego Chargers         No                    2:00pm
Nov  11        San Fransisco 49ers        Yes                   7:00pm
Nov  17        San Diego Chargers         Yes                   2:00pm
Nov  24        Los Angeles Raiders        No                    2:00pm
Dec   1        Pittsburgh Steelers        No                   11:00pm
Dec   8        Los Angeles Raiders        Yes                   2:00pm
Dec  14        Kansas City Chiefs         Yes                   2:00pm
Dec  20        Seattle Seahawks           No                    6:00pm

Go Broncos!!!

Glen A. Foster
Hewlett-Packard Company, Fort Collins Systems Division
{...}!ihnp4!hpfcla!glen

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (12/11/85)

Re: Gerry Faust's resignation:

> Yes, Notre Dame's record is tough, and Faust had further bad luck in that
> some of his supposed patsies (like Miami and Air Force) happened to become
> very strong, making the schedules even worse.

>        			Peter Reiher
>				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

Air Force a patsy? They beat Notre Dame four straight years! Get out of
here!

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/19/85)

In article <50200007@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Re: Gerry Faust's resignation:
>
>> Yes, Notre Dame's record is tough, and Faust had further bad luck in that
>> some of his supposed patsies (like Miami and Air Force) happened to become
>> very strong, making the schedules even worse.
>

>Air Force a patsy? They beat Notre Dame four straight years! Get out of
>here!

I suggest that you read before engaging your hands on the keyboard.  Note the
word "suppossed" in front of the word "patsies".  This should suggest that I
meant that, at the time they were scheduled, these teams were expected to be
easy victories for Notre Dame.  The two teams in question proved to be much
better than the schedulers expected.

I would be the last to deny that Air Force and Miami have had better teams
than Notre Dame the last four years.  In fact, I didn't deny it.  What I was
saying, as you would have realized if you read with care, was that Notre Dame
had some poor luck with scheduling.  Some teams that seemed very likely to provide easy victories improved greatly.  If,
ten years ago, I'd offered to take Air Force against Notre Dame for 1982-1985,
I'll bet you'd have gone for it, and
probably given me odds.
From: reiher (Peter Reiher)
Newsgroups: net.sport.football