[net.sport.football] The Oakland Raiders must have lucky charms in their shorts

mas@drutx.UUCP (Mike Schwarz) (11/26/85)

The article may at first sound like sour grapes, but bear with me.  The
Oakland (Yes, I know they play in LA) Raiders are lucky and do not desire
to be in first place.  The fact that the Broncos overcame the lack of playing
time in the 3rd quarter to almost win.  I do admit that Hester should have
caught the TD pass from Marc Wilson, but .....   The fact that the referee
got in front of the only man who could have stop Marcus Allen from scoring, if
that's not luck what is.  Joe Collier's defense was good at first, but what
happened was Joe got out coached, don't fool yourself John Elway & CO did good
this week but where was the defense.  I pitty the fools in Silver and Black
on Dec 8, 1985.  The Raiders will think that Pearl Habor was a day and
44 years later, the Broncos ARE a better team this year than the Raiders.
This year I feel Darth and CO will miss the play-offs tooooooooooo bad.

Play-off picture

AFC

West - Denver Broncos

Central - Cleveland Browns

East - N.Y Jets

Wildcards - New England Patriots, and Miami Dolphins

NFC

West - LA Rams

Central - Chicago Bears (but we all ready know this)

East - NY Giants

Wildcards - Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers

AFC Champion - Denver Broncos

NFC Champion - Chicago Bears

Super Bowl winner - Denver Broncos ( we will have just sign Hulk Hogan )

Go Broncos

Mike Schwarz

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (12/11/85)

>The
>Oakland (Yes, I know they play in LA) Raiders are lucky and do not desire
>to be in first place.  The fact that the Broncos overcame the lack of playing
>time in the 3rd quarter to almost win.  I do admit that Hester should have
>caught the TD pass from Marc Wilson, but .....   The fact that the referee
>got in front of the only man who could have stop Marcus Allen from scoring, if
>that's not luck what is.

How 'bout a blocked field goal in overtime against San Diego that bounces
into a Bronco defender's hands and is run in for a touchdown?  How 'bout
TWO fumbles in the Bronco-Raider game last year, the lack of either which
would have given the Raiders the game?  The Broncos defense got themselves
into a position where they depended on a single man to stop a touchdown,
and he was blocked by an official.  Had the official not been there, Marcus
may have broken the tackle anyway.  The Broncos missed plenty of tackles in
the brief overtime period to allow the Raiders to set up the winning FG.

The way I saw that game, the Broncos were lucky that the Raiders didn't
put the game away with an "easy" last-second field goal.  The Bronco
defense did an incredibly poor job in allowing the Raiders to get into
field goal position AND out of bounds (they were out of time outs) with
a tick left on the clock.  Then in overtime they did an even poorer job,
missing numerous tackles.

>I pitty the fools in Silver and Black
>on Dec 8, 1985.  The Raiders will think that Pearl Habor was a day and
>44 years later, the Broncos ARE a better team this year than the Raiders.

No comment necessary.

>Super Bowl winner - Denver Broncos ( we will have just sign Hulk Hogan )

I do not believe that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl.  Let me repeat
myself from last year to tell you why.  Teams that have depended on
turnovers to win games have done poorly in the playoffs.  What seems to
happen is that such a team does well during the season, and through one
or two playoff games, and then runs up against a team that is "hot", and
is not turning the ball over, who beats them.  Let me cite the Vikings
of the early '70s (I think that there was one year that Eller and Page and
crew scored more points than the Vikings offense), who always got blown
away in the Super Bowl; the '83 Redskins whom the Raiders demolished in
the Super Bowl; the Seahawks and Broncos of recent years.  Denver couldn't
even beat Pittsburgh last year in the playoffs.

Give me a REAL defense, like the Bears or the Raiders, or the Cowboys or
Steelers of a decade ago.

<<Response to new article>>

>I was watching my Denver Broncos rake havoc on the one Oakland Raiders.  The
>score at half-time reflicted a Raiders team, as beat and done.  Rich Karlis
>missed a field goal, but that's okay.  The Broncos Offense came on the field,
>but a different Bronco Offense, must have been a college bottom 10 team.  I
>have not seen such an offensive turnaround, in all my days as a Bronco fan
>(some 18 years now).

No, it's the same old Bronco offense as always: occasionally brilliant,
but generally inconsistent. (Much like the Raider offense in that respect.)
They ran up against a solid Raider defense that shut them down.  Wasn't that
three Bronco possesions in overtime without a first down?

<<New material>>

This Raider-Bronco rivalry is getting to be pretty interesting.  If my
memory serves me correctly, in the last two years, all four games have
been decided by three points, with three of the games going into overtime;
each team won twice, once at home and once on the road.

As far as which team is better, I'd say that the Raiders are one turnover
better than the Broncos.  That is to say, if the Raiders turn the ball
over once more than the Broncos do, the game will probably be close.
I believe that the Raiders are -9 in turnovers on the season, and the
Broncos +9 (out of 14 games).  Last Sunday, the Raiders turned the ball over
once more, I believe.  Both of these facts would be consistent with the
above analysis.

Playoff picture.  I find it hard to believe that the Raiders will lose to
both Seattle and the Rams; hence they will likely be the AFC west champs.
The Raiders, however, have not looked good offensively.  Wilson has been
much too inconsistent.  I look for the AFC Super Bowl rep to come from
the east.  (As a Raider fan, I hope I'm wrong.)

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/13/85)

>The
>Oakland (Yes, I know they play in LA) Raiders are lucky and do not desire
>to be in first place.
>The fact that the referee
>got in front of the only man who could have stop Marcus Allen from scoring, if
>that's not luck what is.

	This is not lucky, this is smart! A player who uses his head
always knows how to use an official as a screen. Ask Marcus Allen or
Dwight Clark!

	Why don't you broncomaniacs cut down all the Raiders *lucky*
talks? The Raiders have been winning these kind of ball games for
twenty years, is that really luck? Have you ever seen New Orleans,
Houston or Tampa Bay winning these kind of games?

	To tell you the truth, I am not a Raider fan (I hate the Raiders),
but I have to admit they have very talented players. They can steal
games even though they are cold. What if they are hot? They'll go
all the way, as they did in 1983-84.

	As far as your Broncos are concerned, if they are hot, they will
make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first game. That's the
furthest they can go. The reason? besides Elway, they are just a bunch of
average players playing above their heads. They don't have the talent.
If you are simply overachievers during the regular season, you have
no chance of winning the Superbowl.

	This Bronco team reminds me of the Chuck Knox Rams in the
70's, always make the playoffs but couldn't do anything.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

paul@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (Paul Brownlow, Data I/O Redmond, WA) (12/19/85)

> 	This Bronco team reminds me of the Chuck Knox Rams in the
> 70's, always make the playoffs but couldn't do anything.
>
> --
> 					Eddy Lor
> 					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor
> 					lor@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
> 					Computer Science Department, UCLA

Or for that matter, the Chuck Knox Bills and the Chuck Knox Seahawks.
COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE!

--
-------
Paul Brownlow

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'do I feel lucky?'
  Well, do ya punk?"

lat@druil.UUCP (TepperL) (12/19/85)

First, let me say that I do not want to come off sounding like a
Bronco apologist.  Great teams win the games that they have to
(and more, even) and this year the Broncos haven't done that.
However...

> From: stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl)

> > (From another net.person, not Steve V)
> >The
> >Oakland (Yes, I know they play in LA) Raiders are lucky and do not desire
> >to be in first place.  The fact that the Broncos overcame the lack of playing
> >time in the 3rd quarter to almost win.  I do admit that Hester should have
> >caught the TD pass from Marc Wilson, but .....   The fact that the referee
> >got in front of the only man who could have stop Marcus Allen from scoring,
> >if that's not luck what is.
>
> How 'bout a blocked field goal in overtime against San Diego that bounces
> into a Bronco defender's hands and is run in for a touchdown?  How 'bout
> TWO fumbles in the Bronco-Raider game last year, the lack of either which
> would have given the Raiders the game?
You really can't (in all honesty, at least) call the blocked kick lucky.  For
heavens sake, they blocked it twice in a row!  An article in the next day's
sports pages explained why.  The Broncos' special teams coach was looking at
films of San Diego, and saw that on field goals Kellen Winslow was assigned
to block two men.  The Broncos lined up Dennis Smith and one other player
against Winslow.  The decoy man went wide to pull out Winslow, while Smith
went inside for the block.  On the first attempt, Smith successfully blocked
the field goal, and a Bronco recovered the ball.  However, another Bronco had
signaled for time out just before the snap.  (Can you imagine the pandemonium
and anguish after that?)  On the next try, the same plan worked.  Winslow
again went wide and Smith again got the block from the inside.

> No, it's the same old Bronco offense as always: occasionally brilliant,
> but generally inconsistent. (Much like the Raider offense in that respect.)
That's it exactly, the Bronco offense has been inconsistent throughout
the year.  Their 3rd quarter stats are ridiculous, they haven't scored in
that quarter for the last 3 or 4 games.  Maybe they're shooting up Nyquil
during half-time.

> This Raider-Bronco rivalry is getting to be pretty interesting.  If my
> memory serves me correctly, in the last two years, all four games have
> been decided by three points, with three of the games going into overtime;
> each team won twice, once at home and once on the road.
Yep.  Last year the Broncos won twice, this year the Raiders did.
You should read the local papers before each game, with all the name
calling and finger pointing.  It's uncharacteristic of Bronco teams
from the past.
--
Larry Tepper	    {ihnp4 | allegra}!drutx!druil!lat		+1-303-538-1759
	Back to you, Walter.