[net.sport.football] OU and wisdom of polls

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (01/10/86)

        I can't resist...

In article <459@ihdev.UUCP> rjv@ihdev.UUCP (55224-R. J. Vaughn) writes:

> You know, every single coach in the UPI
> poll voted OU #1.  did you ever think just for a moment "yes, yes!!  these
> men who devoted their lives to football just might know a tad more about
> it that i do??"  /* minor exception, barry switzer voted for frezno state */
>
>       ron vaughn      ...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

        Therefore, BYU was the best team in the nation in 1984.  QED.
BYU trailed (#6 in the BIG-10) Michigan most of the way in their bowl
game, but went on to win by 7; they had an awesomely WEAK schedule all year.
        But, hey; these pollsters really know who's the best.  (Don't
I recall Switzer whining about the decision for a long time?  Who is he
to contradict all of these men who have devoted their lives to football?)

        Be honest, Ron.  Would you have posted something like this last
year, defending BYU?

                                -- Chris

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (01/11/86)

In article <845@spp2.UUCP> stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) writes:
>        I can't resist...
>
>In article <459@ihdev.UUCP> rjv@ihdev.UUCP (55224-R. J. Vaughn) writes:
>> You know, every single coach in the UPI
>> poll voted OU #1.
>>       ron vaughn      ...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv
>
>        Therefore, BYU was the best team in the nation in 1984.  QED.
>
>        Be honest, Ron.  Would you have posted something like this last
>year, defending BYU?

what, do i look stupid :-):-)  of COURSE i wouldn't have used that
argument last year.  it wouldn't have been in my best defense.  understand??

everyone gather around while ron talks football.  well, i'm not
really going to talk about football, i'm going to talk about football
fans.  college football fans.

let's use my argument as an example: as a point to prove OU plays with
divine intervention i mentioned all the coaches (except saint switzer)
voted OU #1.  if THEY, the all knowing, all seeing coaches realize OU
is god's team, why can't us mere netters also see the light.

but, a sly stassen@spp2 mentions that BYU had a similar nod of approval
from the coaches last year, and we all know they sucked (non-carbonated)
rocks.  so there we have it.  what looks like a GREAT argument for my
old school crumbles like the texas longhorns facing OUs brian bosworth.

and what of all the other arguments?  we played XXXX bowl teams this year.
(most good teams  played a bunch of bowl teams this year).  who gives a
shit.  there are 36 bowls teams this year.  you call playing the 33rd best
team in the nation, when you are claiming to be #1, #2 etc. counts for
anything?  hell no.

we played XXX top-10 teams.  so?  after you beat them, they weren't
top-10 any more.  reply: "but wait!!  the only reason they aren't top-10 is
because we beat them.  we deserve credit for un-top-10ing them!!!!"  you
call that an excuse??  because you knocked them out of the top-10, you
did not beat a top-10 team, get it.

we beat our mutual opponent more than you did.  so?  they're in our conference,
so it counted more.  so?  you caught them early in the season, we faced
them when they were tough.  so?  you caught them late in the season, we had
them early before they had all those injuries.  so?  when WE played them,
they were ranked #X.

we have the best team in the nation.  so?  WE have the best team in the
nation.  /* this is an easy one */

your team only runs{passes}.  they aren't balanced.  they suck.  so?  what
the hell are we supposed to do?  if you are in the big-8{pac-10} you live
by the run{pass}.  are we supposed to start passing{running} the ball just
to prove we are balanced, and then get the shit beat out of us by the
other teams in our conference?  each teams FIRST goal is to win their
conference.  if you are in a running{passing} conference, and that is what
you do best, it isn't too bad an idea to stick with it.

your team is boring.  boring?  you watch ONE game, on an OFF day, and call
us boring.  i happen to know our triple-option wishbone{i-back}{long-bomb
attack}{grind-'em out rush}{balanced attack} is the most exciting in
football.  you have to understand it to appreciate it.

our players are better than yours.  really?  which of the 51,302 all-american
polls are you referring to?  really?  if we had your stable coaching staff,
we'd win as many as you.

our coaches are better than yours?  really? if we had your athletes, we'd
win as many as you.

our defense{offense} is #1.  sure...oh sure, your going to actually accept
that award, after that schedule you played?  wow.  you have nerve.

we BEAT you.  so?  what does that mean?  it was early{late} in the season.
so? could you beat us RIGHT NOW, when it counts???  so?  XXX beat you, and
we CREAMED them.  nah-nah.

ok gang, see any of your arguments/counter-arguments in here?  did you know
ANYTHING i say to point out OU has a good team can be shot down.  and this
goes for all of us.  we are all playing a little game, called "use the
arguments to your best advantage."  if it is to your advantage to mention
you played 4 bowl teams, use it!!! if some other joker thinks he can
pull that sorry line on YOU, tell him there were 36 bowl teams, and it
means nothing.  everyone catching on??

i think we all kind of realize what is going on, but it is kind of fun
throwing these arguments around, esp. if you are on top :-)
look, if it is close, i'll always say the sooners are better.  and if you
have a single drop of college spirit in you, you'll say YOUR team is better.
but don't get carried away.  BYU was getting carried away.  i thought this
was a good season, some good teams, some good games, some good bowl games.
and lots of good articles in net.sport.football.

	boomer sooner,

	ron vaughn	...ihnp4!!ihdev!rjv

and now a special treat.  in honor of OUs most recent (in a series of three
upcoming consecutive) nat'l championships, i'd like you to stand up at your
office desk, and sing boomer sooner.  i've included the lyrics for you. in fact,
let's make this like a game in norman.  take your shirt off..... put on some
bright red polyester shorts....drink 1/2 a keg.....go to O'Connell's and drink
another 1/2 a keg.... feel the 92degree weather in norman (it's 1:15, almost
kick off time).....ask the guy sitting next to you (pretend he's at the
game also) "...say, where do you think marcus dupree is these days...".....
/* by now there should be a crowd in your office, pretend your the student
section */.....  ok everyone, beer in left hand, a "number-one" finger waving
back and forth on the right hand.... with the band -- SING:

	boomer sooner,
	boomer sooner,
	boomer sonner.
	boomer sonner.

	boomer sooner,		/* who said we were dumb okies, look at these
	boomer sooner,		 * lyrics!!!  so creative!!!
	boomer sonner,		 */
	O-K-U!

	oklahoma oklahoma,
	oklahoma oklahoma,	/* didn't know it was going to get *this*
	oklahoma oklahoma,	 * exciting, did you.  well, here in oklahoma
	oklahoma oklahoma.	 * football is a religion.  you can see how
				 * serious we take it by how serious our fight
	oklahoma oklahoma,	 * song is.  notice it's one keg later, and you
	oklahoma oklahoma,	 * can still remember most of the words.  damn,
	oklahoma oklahoma,	 * what a great fight song...
	O-K-U!			 */
				/* now the tough part, get ready.  sing this
	i'm a sooner born,	 * real fast and slurred.  mumble the words
	and a sooner bred,	 * and sing it different each time.  this is
	and when i die, 	 * 'todays' version...
	i'll be a sooner dead.	 */
	rah! oklahoma		/*  lots of UMPH! on the rah's here. */
	rah! oklahoma
	rah! oklahomaaaaaaaa	/* stretch out the aaaa and go out of tune */
	O-K-U!

loud gun-fire, horses on the field, busty blonds bouncing everywhichaway,
and ON TO VICTORY!!!!

ps:  when your team wins the national championship, then you can post YOUR
dumb fight song.  i have to gloat in at least *one* letter...