[net.sport.football] Dear Miami,

fredrickson@learn.DEC (01/07/86)

A note to the folks in Miami:

I hope you all get caught up in the joy your team is exuding
about this past Sunday's Patriots victory over LA. You are
thrilled to have a home game against a team you've beaten 18
straight times at home, rather than an away game against a team
you've lost to nine straight times on the West Coast.
Understandably.

Breathe a great big sigh of relief, Dolphins. It's a good thing
you don't have to go to LA, huh? Boy, did you luck out.

In case you haven't noticed, you're being set up for the same
trap the Raiders stumbled into. A game you just can't lose, a
real break in the playoff schedule. The Browns and then the
Patriots? What team ever had an easier trip to the Super Bowl?
Make your reservations now for that short flight to New Orleans,
where you get to face another team you've already beaten.

The whole scenario plays into New England's hands. They beat
Miami the first time this year in Foxborough, then lost on Monday
night in the Orange Bowl. Statistically, the games were two of
the least dominant in Dan Marino's incredible career.

For as bitter as that 30-27 loss on December 16 was for the Pats,
I believe it was the single game which made them the team they
are today. As you recall, the Dolphins won when Tony Eason threw
his third interception of the night deep in Miami territory,
overthrowing an open Derrick Ramsey at about the 10-yard line.

The players' reaction to that loss was quiet yet intense. They
made it their goal -- obsession is probably a better word -- to
return to Miami before the season was over and end this streak
once and for all. They then went out and beat Cincinnati to
qualify for the playoffs, demolished the Jets in New Jersey and
stuffed the Raiders in LA.

The coaches' reaction to that Miami loss was more tangible. I
believe they took a look at the reason -- Eason's interceptions,
all three poorly thrown balls that were nowhere near the intended
receivers -- and decided to limit their young QB's passing to
under 20 attempts per game. Since then, Eason has been nearly
perfect. Even when behind Sunday, 17-7, they kept the ball on the
ground as the Raiders sat back waiting for Eason to throw bombs.

Eason completed one pass all day to a wide receiver, and that was
an underneath pattern to Stanley Morgan. Essentially, the
Patriots took the Raiders' two best defensive weapons -- the
great cornerbacks and the pass rush -- and made them useless. I
thought Howie Long and Bill Pickel had very quiet games, and I
can barely remember hearing Mike Haynes' or Lester Hayes' names.

The Patriots are clearly a more patient, confident team than they
were when you last saw them, Miami fans. And your team? I would
say that, against any playoff team other than the Brownies, your
season would already be over. What other playoff team could have
blown a 21-3 lead? I have all the respect in the world for Don
Shula and Marino and his entire offense, but that comeback would
not have happened against anyone else.

So keep celebrating the way the playoff schedule seems to be
treating you, Miami. I'm sure the Bears will do the same thing
when they find out they don't have to face that Dolphin team
which handed them their only loss. But do all your partying
before Sunday, because you won't be in much of a celebrating mood
after you watch what happens to your heroes when they run into
this year's team of destiny.

Final score? New England 37, Miami 31

Yours truly,

Mark Fredrickson

P.S. You can watch the Super Bowl at my house if you don't mind
the cold weather.

In article <303@decwrl.DEC.COM> fredrickson@learn.DEC writes:
>So keep celebrating the way the playoff schedule seems to be
>treating you, Miami. I'm sure the Bears will do the same thing
>when they find out they don't have to face that Dolphin team
>which handed them their only loss. But do all your partying
>before Sunday, because you won't be in much of a celebrating mood
>after you watch what happens to your heroes when they run into
>this year's team of destiny.

If the Patriots beat the Dolphins (and I give them a good chance), the
Bears will be disappointed, not relieved.  They want revenge.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka