[net.sport.football] Rose Bowl tv rating

dday@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (01/10/86)

In article <30400016@ISM780B.UUCP> jimb@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>Acutally, the Rose Bowl didn't become a blow-out until late in the third
>quarter.  As for the general public, the Orange Bowl placed 15th in the
>Nielsen ratings, but the Rose Bowl was 9th.  To partially support your view,
>the Sugar Bowl ranked 62nd.

The high rating of the Rose Bowl says nothing about the quality of the game.
In the first place, people who tune in to a game don't know ahead of time
whether it'll be any good or not.  In the second place, the Rose Bowl is the
only one of the New Year's Day bowls to run unopposed by another game, so of
course its rating will be higher.  I read the other day that the Sugar Bowl
committee is thinking of changing the starting time of its game to oppose the
Rose Bowl next year.  They're tired getting blown out annually by the Orange
Bowl and would rather oppose a bowl of regional significance which hasn't
produced the national champion in any recent year.
--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (01/13/86)

>The high rating of the Rose Bowl says nothing about the quality of the game.
>In the first place, people who tune in to a game don't know ahead of time
>whether it'll be any good or not.  In the second place, the Rose Bowl is the
>only one of the New Year's Day bowls to run unopposed by another game, so of
>course its rating will be higher.

I think that the Rose Bowl out drew the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl combined;
if not, it was very close.

>I read the other day that the Sugar Bowl committee is thinking of changing
>the starting time of its game to oppose the Rose Bowl next year.  They're
>tired getting blown out annually by the Orange Bowl and would rather oppose
>a bowl of regional significance which hasn't produced the national champion
>in any recent year.  --

This should have been posted to net.jokes.  I suppose that last year's
national championship being decided by BYU in the Holiday Bowl made it a
premier bowl?  Regional significance, my ***#$&! As long as the top Pac-10
and Big-10 teams are meeting, it may or may not decide the national
championship, but it will still be a VIG.

(Why this sticking point, Dennis?  Your article on the Bears-Giants game was
so insightful and masterful.)

>UUCP:   seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

		  {ihnp4, decvax}!ima!jimb  (most reliable)

		  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb

		  or   jimb at ima/*cca-unix.arpa
				   ^
				   this asterisk is necessary!